what should i do if my 5 month old cries no matter what i do?

all my daughter wants to do is cry.ive fed her and put numbing medicine on her gums but she wont stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try some tylenol if she is teething otherwise sometimes babies need to cry. Just be patient.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• whenever my babies got really fussy I gave them infant gas drops and they were happy troopers. Is your daughter tummy a little hard?
    Bella05

Answer by Bella05 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The first thing I try when my DD does that is putting her in the sling and taking her outside for a little walk down the street or in the yard. It seems like the white noise of the breeze in the trees and the fresh air soothes her, or maybe the change of scenery distracts her. I don't know but it usually works. If not I try a few other things before I give in to medicating her (unless it's acutely obvious she's in pain, then that's first.)

have you tried rocking her in a dark or dimly lit room with either white noise or soft music (lots of babies like classical music)? Even just singing to her or telling her a story--that helps us sometimes.
    a bath will distract her sometimes, too. this helps a lot if you think it's gassy tummy; especially if you can get into the tub with her and let her move around in deeper water.
    If you need more ideas PM me. My DD is also 7 mos, but I also have 2 older DD's. :)
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If it's teething and not colic, I recommend MOTRIN over Tylenol, it kills the pain. Tylenol is great for fevers but motrin works for pain. I finally clued in after my second child.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Does this happen a lot? It may be colic.

Things that you may (or may not have tried)
    -white noise (www.simplynoise.com)
    -going outside
    -taking a drive/walk
    - going into a dark room
    -laying the baby down
    - wearing the baby in sling or other carrier

If it is teething, NOTHING has worked like Hyland's teething tablets (not the gel!)
    Breedermama

Answer by Breedermama at 12:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2009