What would you do?

Twice now my son's school has called claiming he had a fever and needs to come home.Both times when I took it at home it was about 99 degrees,and returned to normal within a half hour.School policy states that the child must be fever free for 24 hrs.befoe they are allowed to return to school.I am so mad because he did not have a fever either time and they won't listen to me! I don't know where the nurse got her degree ! I left an e-mail with his teacher,but I don't think it'll help.

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My kids school loves to do that they're idiots. When my son has a headache I tell them just give him something to drink or a banana ,kids get dehydrated with the heat we get out here. But no you still have to pick them up from school then go to the Doc and get a note stating that the child will live and can return to school.. I feel your pain ..
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• most school "nurses" are not nurses. they are just clinc trained aides- no nursing degree.
    if it happens again i would bring a thermometer to the school with you to pick him up and take his temp in front of someone in the office to see.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Wow the joys of public school I have to look forward to next year...That is just stupid.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• That's not a fever- that's an elevated temperature. Can happen after running. Refuse to take him home. Make him sit quietly for a moment, and get him a drink, and ask them to retemp. If you need to, get the principle involved.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• mommymeg03, the school nurses in my district are RN's, they can't call themselves nurses if they are not nurses. Your son could have had a fever when they took it and it went down by the time you got home. There are reasons they schools have rules when it comes to illness and it just isn't public schools that have the rules and do this, the private schools do to. And the private schools that I know of don't have nurses at all, it's the school secretary that takes temps and decides if the child goes home. What would you do if a kid was contagious and got your kid sick because you refused to take him home? And BTW--they can send your child to CPS if you or your emergency contact don't pick the child up. I would rather pick up my kid then have to deal with the possibility that he was contagious and infecting his class.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• last i checked, 99 is a low grade fever
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Thanks for your replies.I understand my school's policy works if the child actually is sick,but both times now he is perfectly fine at home,he's symptom free.99 isn't considered a fever,our doc says over 100.1 is.Yes,running around can cause it to rise.He also gets warm when he gets upset-like me.I figure what are the odds of him having a fever at school twice,[this was last week and yesterday]and have it disappear at home?It better not happen again.I forgot to mention,the way they took his temp was one of those forehead strip thingys.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:52 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• well everything but rectal is off by 1 degree + or - ...and i would be pissed to if my kid came home and temp was normal..but my whole life 99.0 has been considered low grade for me.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I looked up my kids school he will be attending next years definition of sick. a child will be sent home if presented with a fever of 100 degrees or higher plus one other symptom such as but not limited to a cough, rash, nasal discharge that is not clear or diarrhea.n A normal temp by text book is 98.6 so a temp of 99 is not even a half of a degree elevated therefore could be thermometer error or stress or exercise induced .
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think they're going a little crazy with the terms of sick.Last year they insisted we pick him up and wouldn't allow him back until the doc saw his rash.They thought it was MRSA.He just has excema! The doc thought they were nuts,couldn't figure out why the nurse could possibly mistake the two!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2009