breastmilk question...

if you were not able to produce any more milk would you take someone elses milk even if you didn't know them or would you use formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im going to use formula...I don't know what they have been putting into their bodies. They used to have wet nurses back in the day though.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I opted for formula instead. There are woman who donate to other moms and on here there was a mom who donated milk to her nephew. If the mom has been properly screened by an agency I would think maybe, but I would also think that it would be to expensive. I did have a friend who offered to donate milk to my LO so that I wouldn't have to use formula but we thought it would be easier for every one involved this way.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I believe that breast is best, and I breastfed my son for over a year, but I think formula is good, too. My hubby and I were formula fed and there is nothing wrong with that. I personally would rather use formula over using a strangers milk. I think breastfeeding is a very personal thing to share with your child and i would feel very uneasy about using someone elses. Good luck : )
    Anonymous

• formula
    you dont know what diseases another person may have, which would be transfered through breast milk
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i wouldnt ever do it because u dnt know how they eat if they are getin enough vitamins or anything plus what else are they putin in theyre bodies. if i cnt breast feed then im going to formula. i know whats n it
    sfewell09

Answer by sfewell09 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It would depend. Just some random person, no. But I wouldn't have a problem with it if I were to, say, have a preemie in a neo natal unit, and they had a milk bank, because I know that the women who donate to it (and the milk itself) is screened.

Sort of like if I needed a blood transfusion I wouldn't accept one from some random dude on the street or even someone that I casually knew. But I would accept blood from a blood bank or a very close relative (even though their blood would have to go through a blood bank too, of course...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If I didn't know them, probably not...
    If I did know them, then probably.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'd prefer to use formula. I don't know what the other person ate, or what kid of life style they led (if the drank, smoke, drank coffee, etc.) and I don't want what I give my child to be tainted with those things.

If I knew the person then I'd consider it.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I would take the donor milk. It's well screened, and most meds and illnesses are NOT easily passed through breastmilk.

Formula is an absolute last resort to me.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• OP here:How do you find screened breast milk though??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2009