Why is my almost five year old having such a hard time fully potty training?

She does not want to stop what she is doing to go potty and will sometimes go to bathroom & stand to pee in her pants. I am lost for how to resolve this. She is a good girl, not defiant, but just really bucking on this issue.

robinson124

Asked by robinson124 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you checked with her doctor for a medical cause? If it's not medical, she may just be having a hard time stopping to go. I wet my pants until I was 6. Once other kids started making fun of me (unfortunately), I realized when I needed to go, I better head to the bathroom. The fun toy, game, etc. would still be there when I returned. I do think one thing that helped is that my mom was always nice to me about it and never punished me or made fun of me. She bought me this "diamond ring" at a flea market and gave it to me as a reward once I went two weeks without an accident. Just continue to be supportive, and in her own time, she'll learn to go when it's time to.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2009