• In the Spotlight:

How do I start homeschooling in my area?

I linve in Lawrence, Mass, and I hate my school system. I am really interested in homeschooling my 8-year-old, 3rd grade son. I keep reading things on the internet about the laws and stuff, but it's got me confused. How do I go about beginning to homeschool my son?

dastephan6

Asked by dastephan6 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• If possible you need to find something very specific to your state that can really help you with the laws. I googled a few things for CA and many had free phone help.

Also maybe search for homeschool groups in you area. Many of those mothers were in your shoes once and would love to help.

http://www.hslda.org/orgs/default.asp

The above link I think has laws for each state.

Also here on cafemom there are homeschool groups. I belong to one and they can be very helpful as well.

Good luck !!!! Once you begin home schooling, you will wonder why you waited so long to start !!!

It's really a great experience.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Get plugged into a group here and check your state for exactly what paper work you need to file. Usually its with the county you live in. Then find a co op in your area that can give you the support your going to need. It keeps you and your kids plugged into a social group so that you can go on outings together and get help when needed. As far as cirriculum goes....Thats just a personal choice. I know what I am using next year but every child is different so maybe get some opinions in some of the homeschooling groups on CM...Good luck to you!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Find a homeschooling support group in your area and let them guide you through it. You'll make a lot of friends who will have the answers you need.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Compulsory Attendance Ages: 6 by December 31 of that school year to 16 years of age.

Required Days of Instruction: None required, but school districts will use the public school’s required number of days and hours of instruction time for purposes of comparison

Required Subjects: Reading, writing, English language and grammar, geography, arithmetic, drawing, music, history and constitution of United States, duties of citizenship, health (including CPR), physical education, and good behavior.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Teacher Qualifications: None.

Standardized Tests: When the superintendent or school committee requests assessments, parents have two choices [see 1(d) above]: 1) standardized test results; or, 2) an alternative form of assessment. This may consist of progress reports, dated work samples, a portfolio review, an assessment by a certified teacher of the parent’s choice, or another method agreed upon between the parents and the superintendent or school committee.
    ReneeK3

• http://mhla.org/information/massdocuments/

Mass link for homeschool.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Go to your sons school. Ask for the website to look up what you can teach him. I home schooled my son for half a year. In Ga. all that is require to teach your child is having a high school diploma. I do not know about other states.
    Angelspellbound

Answer by Angelspellbound at 2:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2009