is albuterol safe for a one yr old??????

my baby has a bad cough,and they gave me albuterol,isnt that to young ????has anyone gone thru this????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is a very safe drug if you follow the dosage. THere's a new one out called something like Xeopenex which doesn't bother a kid's heart. That sounds scary but it's a side effect of albuterol and after about 2 years of use, my kid finally complained so we switched. But it is safe, really.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yes it's safe, my son was a preemie and was on albuterol for the first eight months of his life. If he needs it give it to him. If the doctor gave it to you, he may be concerned about bronchitis or pneumonia. My son would get it all the time, it's a very common treatment.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It is safe!! In fact it is the best thing you can do for your baby right now. My baby girl was put in the hospital twice between 2 and 3 months with a respitory infection. They put her on Xeopenex. Another thing you can concider is asking your Dr about saline solution. That is basically salt water to help with breathing. It is an extremly scary thing to go through if I can help in anyway please feel free to contact me even if its just to talk.
    micki1985

Answer by micki1985 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My dd started on albuterol at 12 weeks. It helps so much with the cough/wheeze. The doctor should make sure to give you a dose appropriate for your childs weight. At first we did just half a vile every so many hours. Around one year (20 lbs) we were up to a full vile.

Like others have said, it is a common treatment and the only effect I saw was some minor shaking after treatment. It didn't bother dd any and didn't last more than a minute or so.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son started albuterol at 16 months but my friends son started it at 3 months, its safe if you follow the directions.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Albuterol is really hard on the heart for some people. My son got the shakes from it every time he used it and he was three years old. (Yes I followed the directions VERY carefully). Switched to Xeophrenex and no problems since. Good luck.
    Breedermama

Answer by Breedermama at 12:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• NO ITS NOT TO YOUNG, MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN ON ALBUTROL EVERY SINCE SHE WAS 3 MONTHS OLD FOR ASTHMA. I HAVE BEEN ON THE SAME THING SINCE I WAS ABOUT 1 AND IM NOW 27
    DEVOTEDMOTHER2

Answer by DEVOTEDMOTHER2 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009