Do you think people who keep having babies and the system keeps taking them out of the home should be forced to get sterilized? Constitutional or not, your honest opinions.

Just curious about your thoughts....I see a lot of stories of women who have had six kids removed from the home, for abuse, drugs, neglect, or they keep going to jail, yet they continue to have children. I know it's unconstitutional, but I hear people say that people,(men and women)who do this should be forced to sterilize. Same with sex offenders.

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i think yes
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think so. You lose your right when you abuse someone else. If you cannot be around children because of poor treatment, then you should be be allowed near children or to have them.
    Anonymous

• I think they should be sterilized!
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well, you hate to do anything permenant for the younger ones because they could change but for the ones in their late thirties then yes. And for pedophiles, yes, castration.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 9:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I definitely think yes they should be sterilized. Why should this person be allowed to keep bringing children into the world that have to be taken away and put in a different home so that they are safe? It is not fair to the children or to the rest of us to have to keep paying this person's idiotic behavior. Being a mother is a priviledge not a right. And if you want to abuse your children or have them for other purposes than wanting a family then you should not be allowed to have anymore.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My uncle's ex wife got around a lot, and has 5 children. She's never been stable enough to have them and she wanted her tubes tied, but didn't have the money. She told them after her 3rd child she wanted it and they wouldn't because she was under legal age to get it done. She had 2 more right before she turned legal age, and they rushed her in at her 6 week check-up to have it done anyway. I think they got the point finally. Now, 2 of her children are with their father, 2 of them are with their father, and one is with his father. She didn't raise any of them.
    Anonymous

• Here, here; and, a hearty: YUP! I have a substance-abusing half-sister who gave birth to 7 children by 7 men over the course of 20 years. She did not raise any of them. Only 3 left the hospital with her (the others were taken by DCF immediately), and she only had custody of each of them (at different times) until they were about 18 months or less (then they were taken.) She even told a judge at one point: "I can do drugs and raise my kids." I'm all for reproductive rights, but I always felt this was completely reckless and irresponsible not to mention selfish on her part. And, I never understood how the state would continue to take the kids, know her history but not penalize her. It's unfair to those children not to mention the rest of us taxpayers. And, I'd love to tell you how this has impacted all 7 but there is not enough space!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• sex offenders one the 2nd offence YES(not just sterilized,chemically castrated would be my preferance)!!Sex offender can not be rehabilitated. The ones that never reoffend just learn and become experts at recognizing tempting situations and controlling their urges. Why the 2nd offence..I don't want the 17yo who slept with his 15yo girlfriend who happened to have parents who went over board to be be dealt with like that. Nor do I want someone who was a victim of a fault justice system to have such a consequence..but on a second offence it would be much more like the person is definitely a SO. I think that if you have kids taken from you over and over that mandatory birth control should be part of the sentence(implant or depo, not the pill),but people can get their life together so I think sterilization would be too extreme,but if I was a DA/case worker i'd be willing to give some lea-way(sp) to some one who would do it vol.

electricblue

Answer by electricblue at 9:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• LAF Outloud: castration doesn't stop the urges and with sex offenders you have to be careful because some of them did stupid things as kids. Do you think the kids that were busted for sextexting should be castrated? Or the kids that got busted for having sex with his 15 yr old gf and he was 16 or 17? Yes there are some people that have no business being parents and keep having the option to have kids. If you can't raise the ones you already have you shouldn't be allowed to have anymore. Male or female, doesn't matter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yes.

But it's a slippery slope. Cause then we'll all have to get licenses just to have kids in the first place soon. LOL!
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 1:11 AM on Apr. 2, 2009