can someone give me a tip on how to train dogs around babys?

I have a 1year old and just got a dog and the dog wants to jump and lick my son right in the face and he dont like it haha... Also the dog wants to bark at everything can i help him not bark so much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pets

• Get the dog used to being tugged on and pulled on.Don't hurt the dog, but grab it the way the baby will.Maybe give it a treat for putting up with it.Reach into the food bowl when it is eating, take away its toys.That way your baby won't get bit later by the dog.I did that with our dog.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 7:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I really can't be of much help here but my vet told us that it helps to start training the dog before the child arrives by giving extra attention to a doll treating it like a real child and at the same time training the dof that the doll is in higjer hierarchy than the dog is. It is also advice to bring clothes from the hospital with baby scent and let the dog smell it so he becomes familiarized to the scent of abies. I am sure a vet in your area can share some valuable info since it depends on the dof dog's breed and his temperament. Like Chichuahuas are highly intelligent dogs, extremelly territorial and even tho they are little, they still can inflict severe damage into a child. better be safe then sorry, ask your vet for suggestions and recommmendations and good luck to you and your family. Hopefully you can all coecxists safelly.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I can't say I know anything about clicker training, but I've heard alot of people who like this method. You prob. can google it or find some books about it, also I think that Pet Smart teaches it.

You actually use a clicker when the dog is doing something that you oppose. I'd look into it. This might work for you. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• There's too much involved here for a thousand characters. PM me if you want help, I'm a dog trainer.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 3:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009