Who hates the smoker police?

My husband is in the hosp in ICU because he had a mild stroke and has a bloot clot in his brain. My FIL is in another hosp in ICU dying from a stroke. My Aunt died the same day my DH went into the hosp and I missed her funeral today. My daughter had to leave an abusive boyfriend and had been living with us with our grandson for the last month but we just moved her into an apt - same few days as all other stuff. In ICU there are hours no one is allowed to visit so I spent this time calling relatives to update them on DH condition. During this time my daughter calls frantic because she accidentally locked baby and keys in the house. I can't help because I'm at hosp and too far away. She hangs up to call 911. I'm sitting in a car with entire back seat full of rotting bread, which I was getting ready to deliver to a soup kitchen when I had to take DH to hosp....to be continued (I'm getting to the smoke police, just bear with me)

FlyMom07

Asked by FlyMom07 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Health

• to be continued! come on! lol
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 9:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• you must be a really slow typist.......... :)
    Anonymous

• I am slow and my daughter just called....I'll be back
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Sorry...Couldn't take the stress nor the smell of the bread so I got out of the car to walk, called another relative and lit a cig. I try to be a polite smoker, even carry an ashtray so I don't litter. Walked behind the hosp to a small parking lot to keep myself out of people's way while I talked and smoked. A woman walks up and demands I put the cig out, says no smoking at the hosp. I tell her, "sorry, I'll walk further away." mind you I'm already in a back parking lot far away from patients and visitors. She insists I put it out "Right now" follows me, gets in my face, yelling. I say, "I'm already walking away." not good enough. She still follows, yells, insists I put it out "NOW." I put phone down, say, "My husband is in ICU with bloot clot in his brain and I'm on phone with relatives and already walking to the street, can you leave me alone?" Then she says she will call security If I don't. question next....
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Question: Shouldn't she just leave me the heck alone since I'm trying to do what she asked in the first place and I am under stress? Who hates when people get so crazy about smokers that they can't see beyond their own agenda and power trip to think about what they are doing. She added so much stress to my day that I smoked much more BTW.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• what is the law there? I know some places you cannot smoke within a certain amount of feet from the building... Anyway, I am not a smoker and I definitely do not want to be around smokers, but if you are out in a parking lot and not right near the entrance to the building I am going in and out of, I wouldn't dream of saying anything.. Some people just are on a power trip. BTW I am sorry about all that is going on with your family... I hope things start to look up.
    Anonymous

• Where I live you're not allowed to smoke anyplace on hospital grounds...even in back parking lots. It's prohibited. Is it like that there? I'm sorry you had a bad week...but there are rules and unfortunately, we have to follow them. She should have left you alone once you started walking away. That was going too far.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i dont think they're supposed to get in your face, she wasnt a police officer or even a security guard right?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Thanks for your condolences... The law is 25 feet from the entrance. I was way, way more than 25 feet away from any entrance or window. No one could even see me smoking except from the street. Apparently, the "policy" of the hosp is not on the grounds, but I was not breaking the law. And I was on my way to the street which is not on the grounds - just a few more steps. Others smoke on the benches right under the no smoking signs, which I began to do too after the incident. She couldn't take us all on. The benches are located far enough away to comply with laws anyway....

FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well....if you're not supposed t smoke on the grounds you're not supposed to smoke on the grounds and that includes the parking lot. Yeah, she was rude but if she's a hospital employee she's paid to be that way.

My nine year old is far worse than that about smoking. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009