• In the Spotlight:

About torture, what are the facts? what information have we gained?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/white-house-watch/looking-backward/bushs-torture-rationale-debunk.html

So we haven't stopped any future attacks using torture, so WHY do we do it?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We have stopped many attacks. Get a life.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• We all know how reliable the Washington Post is.

There is absolutely nothing credible to back up this story.

You would need secret service level security level clearance to investigate this. Additionally, torture is carried on by many different agencies.

Considering what the bad guys are doing to their captives I have a hard time seeing waterboarding as torture. They would do it to you without hesitation. Why protect them? Honestly, torture is sometimes a necessary evil. It has gone on for centuries and will never stop.

Oh and my hubby who has that level of clearance told me a story of a threat avoided that scared me spitless. There have been a lot of averted threats in the last 8 years. Some info DOES come from torture.

We need to let our military and security agencies do their job.
    Anonymous

Name an incident that has been stopped by TORTURE!?

I know some attacks have been thawrted, but not through info garnered from torturing a suspect

and I have a life, and apparently it so interests you that you must troll my questions with little insults, how very mature. But it's OK, I love when people hate me, especially people like you...Makes me feel good to know that we are nothing alike!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• We all know how reliable the Washington Post is. There is absolutely nothing credible to back up this story. You would need secret service level security level clearance to investigate this. Additionally, torture is carried on by many different agencies. Considering what the bad guys are doing to their captives I have a hard time seeing waterboarding as torture. They would do it to you without hesitation. Why protect them? Honestly, torture is sometimes a necessary evil. It has gone on for centuries and will never stop. Oh and my hubby who has that level of clearance told me a story of a threat avoided that scared me spitless. There have been a lot of averted threats in the last 8 years. Some info DOES come from torture. We need to let our military and security agencies do their job.

Of course you do sweetheart, just NO FACTS to back it up...gotcha!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Ok - give an example of tortue by the US OTHER than Abu Ghraib. I've yet to see any evidence that such tactics were used anywhere outside that one location. This whole "we torture and it's wrong" rhetoric came out of this one instance. Was it wrong? yes. Was it repeated in other locations? I've yet to see it documented any where else. Yet this columnist at the Washington Post and the anti-Bushites want to jump up and down and say "See! You Evil Tortutous SOB! You, who made it common place!" Umm, not quite so.

Honestly, while I disagree with torture, I also disagree with tipping ones hand and saying "Oh, Mr. Terrorist who stops at nothing, here is what *we* will stop at. Just so you know..."

Anonymous

• oh sweet a kins you're cutting and pasting again, good for you!

You aren't going to be able to verify to your satisfaction attacks that have been stopped because of torture. There is a reason things are "CLASSIFIED".

The Posts story has no proof, just that mysterious unanamed source.

But of course, there are some that believe everything they are told......................................

I agree with anon, let the people that know what they are doing do their jobs. Life isn't all puppy dogs and lollipops.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• http://www.usawatch.org/archives/cat_us_torture.html

http://www.andhranews.net/Intl/2008/June/19/Cheney-accused-50229.asp

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1130-01.htm

and the reason Spain is holding hearings now is because a man from Spain was detained and claims to have been tortured....

OTHER than Abu Ghraib...but that is one too, and it wasn;t just ONE incident
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/iraq/abu_ghraib/index.html?inline=nyt-geo
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• oh sweet a kins you're cutting and pasting again, good for you! You aren't going to be able to verify to your satisfaction attacks that have been stopped because of torture. There is a reason things are "CLASSIFIED". The Posts story has no proof, just that mysterious unanamed source. But of course, there are some that believe everything they are told...................................... I agree with anon, let the people that know what they are doing do their jobs. Life isn't all puppy dogs and lollipops.

What copy and paste? I posted a link to the story to which I referred

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• All accusations. No substance. Where are the government memos or emails. Where are the whistleblowers that were actually there? Smoke and mirrors.

Spain has no authority. Their own government says this is going nowhere. Do a little more research.

Good cut and paste job though!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• All support of torture - yet no facts. Good job avoiding the topic.
    Anonymous