Dishwasher detergents being banned in Washington state.

Dishwasher detergents containing phosphates are being banned in Washington State, already banned in Spokane. Some residents are driving to Idaho to "smuggle" dishwasher detergents like Cascade and Electrasol. I just use Palmolive Eco, why the big fuss over switching brands? Can someone honestly tell me?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-bootleg-detergent,0,3684372.story

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 9:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh good grief anon. Why not use the cleaners that don't harm our eco system and plus they clean just as good as the ones with phosphates. Oh wait you are one of those that doesn't believe our environment is in trouble.
    I live near seattle and I haven't heard about it on the news yet. But if they do its no biggie to me I already use the eco kind anyway.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• ...because it's just more gov't control...
    Anonymous

• uhh the price. lol thats funny that they have to smuggle it like its a drug or something
    Anonymous

• LOL now that would make a good skit
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The ones that are banned are the good ones like Cascade and Electrosol. The ones that actually get the dishes clean in the dishwasher.

Just because it is "green" doesn't mean it worksl I have found that the word "green" on a label also adds to the cost of the product.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• What's next? More government interference in the way we live. Let's make respectable people into criminals when they wash the dishes. Doesn't that strike you as over the top?

We don't force people to diet, even if their weight is dangerous to them. We don't force people to quit smoking. Why this?

It's a petty little law, even if it is good for the environment. Not to mention, the last article in Consumer Reports didn't think much of "eco" detergents. You pay more for something that cleans less.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• OMGosh this is so dumb. Why is the government banning dish detergent. We should be able to use any brand we want. It's just one more step to get people to be forced into doing they don't want to do.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 10:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The goverment shouldn't have that much control. I'm all for being eco friendly but on my own terms. Not the goverments. Why are they messing with detergent when they could be focusing on a bigger problem such as emmisions from cars.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Eco-friendly dishwasher detergent? If you were actually concerned about the environment, wouldn't you use way less water and wash them by hand instead? And if the idiots who passed this law were actually concerned about the environment, wouldn't they ban the dishwashers instead of the detergent?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I know its because the phosphate contaminate the water supply, which is why I do use Palmolive Eco (and have found it to do just as good a job on my dishes) but aren't they spending more money by going to Idaho than they would spend by just trying different ones that are still okay to use til they found one they liked?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009