How do you feel about toddler leash use in busy theme parks and malls?

Yesterday I had my four kids with me at an amusement park. I have a 3 yo, 18mo 2 mo and 11yo. My 18 mo is wanting to walk on his own really bad, but if you put him down he's off! Then I'm chasing my three year old because they are easily distracted because of the surroundings. So my 18mo really likes his little backpack harness thingy! He walks with us and is happy, not screaming to climb out of the stroller. I prefer to keep all my children close at hand for safety reasons and as a courtesy to others. I overheard a lady comment on his leash,"that's just ridiculous!" as her 4yo and 5yo are cutting in line waiting for a ride that they are too small for. I got really pissed, I felt like saying"watch your own kids!" Also, I had a lady say something to who ever she was on the phone with, while she's screaming at her one four year old to come back to her. She couldn't even get off the phone, but I get leash comments.

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The intentions behind them are sterling. Next time someone tells you "that's ridiculous" you should say, "Really? You think this is humiliating? Because he poops his pants and seemingly has no problem with that, so..."
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 10:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Seriously, if a parent is going to go to measures to keep their child safe and under control, and a leash/harness/backpack thingee helps them do it, GOOD! Really...... that is the least of my worries when it comes to other people's parenting.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I have one...I only wish my daughter liked it. I understand why you use it. I'd just ignore what others say and think. You are keeping your kids safe mama, and that's all that matters.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• They are kids....not dogs...dogs belong on leashes, not kids!
    Anonymous

• I just bought my 14 month old a monkey backpack "leash" I proudly call it a lease just as i call play pens baby jail.. we love it.
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 10:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I used one when my daughter was little.

There nice becuase the give them a little freedom, but not ALL the freedom.

The first time I saw one on a kid I thought it was odd. But I thought about it, and when out and find my own
    vampjaded

Answer by vampjaded at 10:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You try taking my kids to a busy place by your self and then decide who leashes are for! It's not like I tied him to a post outside and threw him a bone and a bucket of water! Geeze!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If you can't watch your kids, dont have them
    Anonymous

• I think they're fine as long as the child likes it, just as you said your 18 month old did. It's when the kids are crying because they're wearing it is when I think something else should be done. But really, it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks. They are your children and you have every right to do whatever you feel is best to protect them! In this world we're in now anything can happen and a "leash" could be protecting kids from predators.
    Anonymous

• I personally am not a fan of "leashes" because I think they just look weird on a child and not a dog. But if you like them and your child likes them then who cares what everyone else says! You are keeping your kid safe while still letting them have the freedom to walk around and that's all that matters. Things work differently for different people. If the leash works for you great. I don't think it would work for me but I wouldn't criticize someone that used one.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009