At what age did you move your child from a crib to a toddler bed?

I coslept with my son until he was a year old, and we slowly moved him to his crib, first during naps, then during the night. He is now 21 months, and i'm not sure what's a good age to switch him to a normal bed. His crib converts to a toddler daybed. I already have one of those guardrails for the side of the bed so they don't roll out in their sleep...

asherraifsmom

Asked by asherraifsmom at 10:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I moved my oldest son into his big boy bed at 15 months because he started crawling out of his crib. My middle son moved into one when he was 19 months old and my youngest when he was 2 yrs old.
    I think it just depends on your child....It depends if he is ready and it depends if you are ready!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 10:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• my daughter started a toddler bed at 2
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 10:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Try now hes almost 2 yrs old and by two all my newphews were in toddler (BIG BOY BEDS) by there 2nd b-day.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I moved my oldest to his twin sized bed- never used a toddler bed -- when he was 2 1/2. His brother was on the way and we didn't want our oldest to think the baby was pushing him out of the crib. The youngest started climbing out of the crib at about 2, so we moved him to his twin bed then.

Answer by Bmat at 10:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son is two. We switched right to a twin bed. I think it is really up to you. A lot of people do it when the child starts to try and climb out. You could go ahead and try now. Good luck.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My daughter went to her crib mattress on the floor at 18 months (I was way overprotective and thought she'd fall out of a bed). Then a couple months later, we put it on the bed frame when I realized that was ridiculous. At 2 1/2 she moved to a twin bed because our second was on the way and needed the crib mattress. Our second baby, a boy, started climbing out of the crib at about 10 months (no joke, could climb out of crib, but didn't walk til 15 months, go figure). So, we put him into a pack and play. It was deep enough to keep him IN, not out. We didn't want him wandering about. Finally, at about 18 months, he moved with sister into the twin bed. They're much older now and in their own grown-up beds, but our son is still a night wanderer. (We're not sure the cause of his sleep-walking). Sorry, I got off the point and made this WAY too long!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My older two boys were both about 2 when they went into their twin beds. My youngest will be 3 in June and is still in his crib. He is in no hurry to grow up, he never tries to climb out of his crib, he also couldn't care less about potty training. This summer when I'm off (I work in a school) we'll be moving into his big boy bed and potty training.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My oldest was in a toddler bed at 12 months because because his brother was coming in a month and we wanted him in the toddler bed and out of the crib before the new baby came. My second is staying in the crib until he starts to climb out. He is now 15 months.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• that is about the age we moved ours to "big boy" beds. Get him some exciting new bedding and he'll do great.
    fawn321

Answer by fawn321 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• 15 months to a regular bed. We didn't use side rails, I put a body pillow on the floor. They only fell out a few times...not even every night.

We tried converting their crib to a toddler bed. They screamed and screamed!! Put them in their regular bed (with the crib taken down and put away) and they went right to sleep. Something about their crib just missing that side...it was "wrong" for them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2009