I NEED ANSWERSSS PLEASE!!

do mothers and babies get drug tested after the baby is born? even if theres nothing wrong with the baby? my friend is on medicade in louisiana and she had her baby and they didnt test her. but my other friend lives in mississippi & her baby was dehydrated, and she got tested. Is it just because there was something wrong with her baby that they tested her? please answer back!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They take blood and test for all kinds of things.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 10:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If you are not doing drugs what does it matter? It shouldn't matter why or why they don't unless you are using. If you are and preggers then you deserve to get what ever happens.
    Anonymous

• do you have something to worry about? there is always a possiablity of a drug test they should have tested you when you had your first appointment!
    Anonymous

• None of my kids have ever been tested. Perhaps your friend did something to make them think that she might have been on drugs? Babies who are born to mothers who have taken drugs need extra support, so it's good if they get found.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well I hope you aren't worried for your own sake. I would honestly hope your baby DID get taken if that was the case. But some states they do, and some they don't. It also depends on your past history and background with drugs, like getting in trouble with the law, including MINOR things. Hope you aren't worried about yourself. Good luck.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i posted this question. but NOO im not doing drugs!! im tryin to find out why my friend got her baby took & my other didnt!!
    jadynsmommy09

Answer by jadynsmommy09 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• We never got tested...
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 10:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Different states, different rules. We don't know enoguht to say one way or another.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• They don't test for drugs unless there is reason to test. Lab technicians only look for what they are told to look for. It is very possible that your friend failed a drug screen during her pregnancy and when that happens the doctors will test at birth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Alot of states have recently started random drug tests on newborns. They take anywhere from 25%-50% of the babies and do a drug test on them. They are supposed to be starting to do it on all babies within the next few years because they have been finding so many drugs in the random tests. The nurses told me this very rudely at the hospital about a week ago. They automatically assumed because I had bags under my eyes that I was on drugs, youd think theyd know Im not getting any sleep im 41 weeks pregnant for goodness sake!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2009