Would you be mad if another mom fed your breast fed baby formula? (read circumstances please)

My sil left her 3 month old with me and he was so fussy and crying. I called once and she said she'd be back soon and that it was a little past his feeding time, but she thought he'd be okay. an HOUR later I called and she didn't answer. 2 hours later she still wasn't around and I tried to call (no answer) but her son was SCREAMING. I found some formula from a sample from when I had my daughter (don't worry, it wasn't expired) and fed him 2 oz just to tide him over. He stopped screaming and was much happier, but you could tell he was still a little hungry.

When she got home she freaked out, and told me I had no right. She told me she was only going to be gone 1 hour-but she was gone 4+ hours. I could tell her baby was starving. What else was I supposed to do?

If you were the sil would you be mad at me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hope I wouldn't be angry. I do feel that you made the right choice. Poor baby was starving and you fed him, and it's not like you gave him a full 6 or 8 oz, just a couple to tide him over until mom finally came to get him. And seriously how was she not just bursting? I'd have been leaking like crazy if I basically missed a feeding. I know that if you ar ebf'ing you don't want your baby to have formula, but most moms don't want their baby starving either. Next time tell her to leave you some expressed milk for when she's so late.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• She does have a right to be mad at you for giving her formula IF she kept her word about only being an hour. That's why I never leave my bf baby longer than like 2 hours 'cause I know she'll be hungry again. So if it really was that big of a deal, she wouldn't have been gone so long. I prob. wouldn't care if someone tried to give my baby formula, b/c she won't take a bottle, so she wouldn't drink it.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Breast Fed.. or Formula.. wouldn't matter.. Why didn't she leave you something to feed him just in case? She should be mad at herself for being irresponsible.
    you did the right thing as far as I'm concerned. i formula fed mine.. and she only takes 2 maybe 3 bottles thru the day.. but.. I always fix 4 for the babysitter - and leave extra formula in the diaper bag - just in case something comes up.
    Mom should have known better than to leave baby with NOTHING.

4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If i ever leave my daughter with the baby sitter no matter how long im gone i always leave the sitter with a bottle just in case you never know what could happen you could get stuck in traffic are something so i would not be mad if you fed my daughter if she was hungry and i forgot to leave fourmula are something she has no right to be mad if the baby is hungry They need to be fed sham on her.
    1Lilly

Answer by 1Lilly at 11:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I don't think she has a right to be angry...she was gone way longer than she said she was going to be. What should you have done, let the baby starve? I would have fed the baby too.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Personally, I would have done the same thing as you in this situation. I can understand her being upset that her EBF baby was given formula, however, she should have left you with some expressed breast milk. It doesn't matter how long you *think* you will be gone - you have to have a contingency plan because things happen. I think she dropped the ball (not leaving expressed milk, being gone so long, not answering your calls) in this situation. I wonder if she's mad at herself and is taking it out on you.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 11:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• She didn't leave anything with you?

No. She has NO RIGHT to be mad at any one but HERSELF for being careless.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You did the right thing for the situation. You can't just let a baby go screaming hours on end because they are hungry. You couldn't get a hold of the mother so you were in the right. If I was you I would have done the same thing. I would have even ran out to the store to get some formula if I didn't have any on hand.
    Anonymous

• I would have done what you did. Its not like you feed him rat poison or something. She should have planned better. In fact, I would have been ticked at her.
    fawn321

Answer by fawn321 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I dont think you were wrong, it seems like she needs to get her stuff together!!
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 11:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009