• In the Spotlight:

Considering the Military for employment what do you think?

I've always had a great respect for those that serve our country (big military family). I'm getting divorced and have no biological children. I'm also a total type A personality. For the first time in my life I have the opportunity to do whatever I want. I think it will be great to be on my own but I don't want to risk not making ends meet. Would this be a good experience for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• Since you come from a military family, you already know the pluses and minuses. You might consider the Reserves, but also consider whether you can make it on that pay scale if you're called up.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• it sounds like you know what your getting into, good luck in what ever you do.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 11:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think so..if you can make it in the military, you can make it anywhere, It's builds discipline and leadership skills..you can go far... take advantage of all it offers....free college tuition, airborne school, working overseas. Plus it's not like your committed for life, you're obligated for at least 3 or 4 years. I recommend looking into the intelligence field... If you're responsible with money, there's no way you will have financial problems. If you get deployed, your most of your pay is tax exempt. Here's another thing...I once worked for human resources...retired military personnel are hightly sought after because most recruiters know they have the discipline and the training. My husband is a warrant officer now...it's been eight great years...he started out as an enlisted E2 and quickly moved up the ranks. You can take it as far as you want, go for it and don't look back!
    babygirlsofmine

Answer by babygirlsofmine at 11:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I say go for it! I know I would if I was single with no children.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You seem motivated, go for it. A little biased, but if you want a real challenge & commitment, become one The Few, The Proud, The Marines!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:47 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I've considered it also. I come from military family also. I was speaking with my father about me joining, and I asked him, "What if I got deployed?" He told me I had no know 100% that my children were going to be taken care of while I was gone--even if I was "just" in the reserves. Coming from a military family, you know the plus and minuses. As long as there is someone to care for the kids if and when you get deployed, I would go for it (the financial stability, retirement pay, college funding, etc are the reasons I want to join).
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If I were to go back and enlist, I would go Air Force, hands down.

I'm in the Army Reserve, you can PM me if you'd like some questions answered.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 8:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i'm an Air Force wife and we love it! Would you be an officer or enlisted?? If you can become an officer their is a lot of money. Plus the retirement after 20 years is great! Fill free to contact me with any questions. Best of luck!
    zipitty

Answer by zipitty at 4:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009