Spirulina during third trimester

Hello all, my iron levels have been low my last few doc visits. Prenatals made me sick, flinstone chewables dont seem to be working and i dont absorb enough iron from generic iron pills (TMI-not to mention the constipation). I come from a long line of herbalist so ive been wanting to take sipirulina but im a little worried about the mercury content...
any thoghts/comments/concerns?

zoozleroo

Asked by zoozleroo at 11:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know anything about that but I had problems with prenatals too. My DR prescribed three different ones, I bought generic ones, and I tried Flinstones... nothing worked. The ONLY thing that worked for me were 'Gummy Vites' you can buy them any where that has a pharmacy. My DR had me take two a day. Hope that helps.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 12:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Have you looked into floradix? It is an amazing product and safe during pregnancy. It is an iron and herbs product and very helpful.

As for spirulina, you need to research the brand and where it's grown. Some do not have a signifigant mercury content, some do. ( similar to tuna lol it all depends on the type/where it's from).
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I second the floradix but many people cannot stand the taste. A great alternative to floradix, if you can't drink that stuff (I can't), is to use a chelated iron supplement. They come in vegetarian capsules and are easily absorbed without causing constipation.

HappyGrl06

Answer by HappyGrl06 at 4:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2009