Is this normal or a reason forf concern?

My little guy is 3 weeks old today and his cord has not fallen off yet is this normal? or is it a sign that there may be something wrong? we were at the drs today and he said give it a little more time but i am concerned! It is not red no pussines no bleeding or anything like that it just seems it is not drying out like it should! I have 2 other children and neither one of theres took this long to fall off! Any help or advice would be helpful Thanks!

proudmommy44693

Asked by proudmommy44693 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the dr. isn't worried I wouldnt be either. Give it a little more time, make sure it is staying dry and it doesnt start to look infected or anything but I wouldnt worry.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my LO his didnt fall off for umm... i want to say probably 5 or 6 weeks. its normal and if your doc isnt worried then there is no reason for you to be!
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my son didn't lose his til he was 4 weeks. My dr. told me to put alcohol at the base of the cord...it helps it to dry up faster and fall off sooner.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Ouch! Alcohol?! Next time you have an open wound, put alcohol on it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Put alcohol on it. The hospital told us to use the pads but those didn't help at all. Use a q-tip soaked in it and it'll be off in just a few days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• anon 6:14. this isn't an "open wound" and it is the normal course to put alcohol on the umbilitical cord. It dries it out so it can fall off. There is no bleeding involved and putting alcohol on normal skin does not hurt it. it may dry it out a bit, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• the hospital toll me to put alcohol two time a day and it will dry up. My boy did not fall until he was like a month old. My girl fall when she was like at 3 weeks.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• we put alcohol on one of our children's cord spots, none on the other two. our doctor said it doesn't matter either way. it will fall off in due time.

i think it's kind of comical that you went to the doctor, asked him about it, and when he said he wasn't concerned, you posted the question here for all of us non-med degreed people to answer! lol.

but hey, it's okay. i don't trust my doctor all the time either! lol.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son's didn't fall off for 6 weeks. My daughter's fell off at 2 weeks. If it doesn't look infected, I wouldn't worry.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Alcohol keeps it clean. Yes, use rubbing alcohol on a qtip twice a day. My daughter lost half of hers around 3 weeks, and then the rest fell off about 3 or 4 days later. Seems fine to me. Just keep it clean, and check for signs of infection.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 1, 2009