bad mommy

my 3 1/2 girl still uses a pacifier. I KNOW ITS BAD BUT IT GETS WORSE! My 2 year old boy still uses a bottle i need help.! any advice?

dfstcy

Asked by dfstcy at 12:11 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well you can start off by taking the pacifier and bottle away no matter how mad they get they will get over it. im not saying it will be easy but you will have to start somewhere.!!!!!!! good luck!!!!
    mrsperry2009

Answer by mrsperry2009 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I know it will be hard but I would try doing it slowly take the pacifer away for a few hours then the next day a few hours more same idea with the bottle. Hope that is helpful
    emmy626

Answer by emmy626 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• you know what?? SO WHAT!!! are your kids happy?? Then leave them be and dont listen to anyone who tells you to take their comforts away...my 21 year old had a pacifier until he was 7 years old, that's right 7!!! And he is a happy, well adjusted,  productive young man and he gave it up on his own..WHEN HE WAS READY!!! And his teeth are so straight that he could model for tooth paste! One of my three year old twins is still firmly a bottle baby..the other could care less...so I say, unless it bothers you, then dont worry about it.. I guarantee they wont go to college with them...  

shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• well my daughter she four and she still used a bottle and used diaper so dont feel bad cuz im worst them u
    wendylove713

Answer by wendylove713 at 2:44 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You're not a "bad mommy". Well, not unless you're abusing and/or neglecting your kids...but I doubt that is the case.

Just take them away. You want them off of those things....take them off of those things. There will be a few days of hell with them throwing fits, crying and screaming. But be strong and be the mom. Don't give in because that will make it harder the next time.

You can do both slowly, you can work with one kid at a time...and draw it out so the process takes longer.

Or, you can take the bottle and pacifier away and deal with them both at the same time and it's completely over in a few short days. (well, it won't feel like a short time during, but looking back...)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You are not a "bad Mommy"......
    IMO.......You could set rules for the pacifier. Like can not take it when go to the stores, park, out to eat......she can have it at bed time or nap time.
    As for the bottle.......Does he get most of his liquids from the bottle.....if so change it. Maybe try a bottle when he get up or when he goes to bed....but try to introduce a sippy cup.....Maybe let him pick a sippy cup out at the store....they have so many different one. He may like that.
    Just remember like shivasgirl Post they will let go of it sooner than later.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• HI, I took my girls off the bottle as soon as they started walking and the pacifier as soon as thier teeth started to show. Just take them away, replace the bottle with a zippy cup and remind them they are big kids now! yeah they will throw tamtrums like never before but it won't hurt them at all. Its for their own good. I personally don't like to see toddlers with pacifiers walking around or with bottles but again thats my opinion. Mom always said let them cry they don't cry blood. Specailly if you know they are well taken care of in all other aspects. Good luck and keep us updated.
    Erika03

Answer by Erika03 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You are not a bad mommy, just one that doens't want to see her kids upset. Believe me, I understand that. I have 3 and my older two are 14 months apart and are 9 and 8 now and I have a 3 1/2 year old. My older two were both off bottles by the time they were 16 mths and off pacifiers by the time they were 2. Well, things didn't go that way with baby 3, he really didn't like his pacifier so that was gone by the time he was 9 mths, but the bottle, forget it, I couldn't get it away. What I did was transition him to a cup that most resembled a bottle, then went from there. I watched an episode of Supernanny the other night and she got these twins 4 to give up their pacifiers by having a pacifier fairy, and had them put the pacifiers in the fairies net (the fairy was taking them to little babies who needed them) and in return, the next day, they each got a little gift, something from the dollar store but it worked. good luck.
    dcoscia3

Answer by dcoscia3 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Look, I don't think that you are a bad mom based solely in the bottle and the pacifier thing.One thing that helped me is to think in the overall picture of what is our role in our children lives?

As parents, sometimes we will have to say no to them and that is okay. As parents, we will have to make decisions that won't be popular with our children and that is okay too. As parents, our mission is to help our children to grow and if your child is developmentally capable of holding a zippy cup or even better a glass, then why deny him of the motor skills and hand coordination required to accomplish this tasks? I didn't realized that by feeding my son in the mouth longer than I should have I sethim back in fine motor skills necessary in pre-k like to firmly grab a pencil. We corrected the problem and he is up to speed now but all I am saying is don't beat yourself over this, just do what you know must be done.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my three year old can legibly write his full name (DAMIEN) while he is holding his bottle in the other hand....my oldest son was always at the top of his class...do what YOU want, and dont worry about it... 

shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 12:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2009