What's the fashion trend for...

Business wear. I have my MBA but haven't had to dress "business" lately. Do you know a good web site with pics? Or any advice? I've got to put an outfit together for a job interview, I think. I need to look super current and professional.

britbit

Asked by britbit at 12:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Keep it simple and dress the part. You don't want to be in a pantsuit for a janitorial job. Where a nice button up shirt in a solid color, nice slacks or skirt, simple and classic shoes, keep the jewelry to a minimum, get a manicure on those nails (nothing like dirty unkept nails when shaking hands), keep the hair neat and professional, keep the makeup simple, and the perfume light. If you are looking at an office job, wear a suit jacket. Walk in with a simple tote or briefcase and your resume ready. Have extra pens, list of employment history. Take a lint roller no matter the color of clothes you wear. Give yourself the quick once over when out of the car to be sure you are neat. Just keep it simple and classic.

Good luck on your upcoming interviews!
    mineralgirlzmom

Answer by mineralgirlzmom at 4:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Thanks! The job is a pretty high-powered job. Think lawyer or CEO. But I don't want to look out-of-date or stuffy. I need to find a balance between professional and "trendy."
    britbit

Answer by britbit at 8:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• For a high-powered job, definitely do a business suit with a nice button up shirt under the jacket. The button up shirt under the jacket is an easy way to trendy up a business suit. Obviously the business suit will be a gray or black, but the button up shirt should be a color that complements you. Maybe blue for blue eyes, or I have a light peach colored shirt I love wearing under my gray business suit because I have darker hair and am tan so it looks nice!

Good luck on the interview!
    mom2haybug

Answer by mom2haybug at 11:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Brit to keep it current hit up the Express stores and the like. I don't know where you are but Huntely outlet mall if that's close to you is great on prices! Stay away from old navy type stores tho - too casual for what I think you're lookin for!
    MamaCraige

Answer by MamaCraige at 12:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I'd take a look at the Ann Taylor website and at the suits on the Nordstrom's website. I'm guessing that Express might be a little too young for the look that you are going for. You can still get high fashion at the other stores. J Crew is another option.

I'd say skip the perfume. Some people have difficulties with it, and you'll never know the sensitivities of who is interviewing you.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009