rupturing membranes

So....i'm officially overdue, so the doctor said if she doesn't come out by friday that she's going to rupture my membranes. I understand that means she's going to break my water, but i just kind of want to know what to expect. What's she going to do? and what do i expect afterwards? are contrations just going to start right after that and i'll be in labor? do i go home afterwards?

knjones

Asked by knjones at 1:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they will break your water and it feels so nasty. Some woman have contractions within the hour some have to be put on pitosin to start labor. My last my water broke at home and i was fine for a few hours. I ended up being in labor for 14 hours but it was not bad. My son they induced and then gave me the meds and waited i had him in 5 hours. you probably will not go home afterwards. It is pretty much painless until the contractions start. Then tada you have your beautiful baby and a smaller belly lol
    brees3

Answer by brees3 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• do i bring my hospital bag to the doctors office?
    knjones

Answer by knjones at 1:11 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i would just in case. Keep it in the car. Bring extra pants because there is so much water it is unbelievable i went through 7 beach towels and several pairs of pants before i got to the hospital. It amazing They will use a croche hook looking thing to break your water and then it will not stop coming out until you deliver. It feels so nasty.
    brees3

Answer by brees3 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yes, take your bag and expect a baby. Once they break your water, they will not let you leave the hospital. I had to be put into labor with all 3 of my kids. Even after breaking my water, I didn't go into labor on my own. They had to give me pitosin (to start labor) to help it along.
    Good Luck :)
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my doctor broke my water and he has this little thing that slips over his finger and it has a pokey thing at the end of it and he just pokes it and it all gushed out it felt really weird when it all came out .. i was already having some contractions but about 30 min after he broke mywater, it was INTENSE. bring your bag to the hospital... i dont think they will want you to leave after they do that... yo uusualy keep leaking and start having some blood come out and drip im SURE they wont have you leave...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Why would he break your waters at his office? Does he mean stripping your membranes or actually rupturing them? Premature rupture of membranes increases your risk of cord prolapse which would put your babies life in serious danger.

Are you 42 weeks yet? If not you are not overdue?! Your doctor is being very irresponsible. Not only is he endangering your child's life, he's increasing your risks for a cesarean as well as an infection.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:37 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• When they broke my water they just stuck a hook thing up there and poked it. It kind of just felt like a pinch didn't hurt though, than there was a gush of water and my contractions got more intense and closer together right away. I had my baby about an hour or less after that.
    Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You are *overdue* because it is one day past your estimated due date??? Assuming the exact moment of conception has been established...anywhere from 38-f42 weeks is perfectly normal for gestation. The fact that your OB is talking about ANY interventions before 42 weeks is pretty shady and I would be scared. I have never heard of anyone rupturing your membranes BEFORE labor starts...that is probably one of the worst ways to induce a woman's labor and can be extremely dangerous for you and your baby.
    Caramelturtle

Answer by Caramelturtle at 10:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2009