is it common for premies to go several days without having a bowel mmovement>

my son was born at 33 weeks. he was 4lb. 1oz. at birth and he spent 2 1/2 weeks in the NICU. He has been home for 2 weeks and in that time he has only had 1 bowel movement. He appear to be gassy and extremely unconfortable. Three different doctors have told me that it is normal for premies to go several days without one. Well that 's OBSURD!!! I know how I feel if I go for two or three days without one. Could someone out there please offer me som advice?

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Health

• My daughter was born at 25 weeks. She weighed 1 pound 14 ounces at birth, and spent 10 weeks in the NICU. She pooped everyday, but when she got a little older there were a couple of times that she went days in between. My daughter is breastfed, but if your formula feeding maybe you should switch? maybe the kind your using is hurting his tummy?

Answer by renajennjenn at 12:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Try moving his legs in a bicycle motion. My son was not a premie but this really helped him when he had a problem. I was breastfeeding and did not want to give him any juice or water etc. I just kept moving his legs every chance I got and it finally loosened everything up. I also gave him gas drops but I have heard gripe water is better.

Answer by rasbneon at 2:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2008