Need help on socializing!

This will be the first time my family and my husbands family will get together (mexican and black). I am very nervous about how it will go. I wanted to have a barbeque in my backyard after church. But im not used to throwing partys or get togethers. I guess you can say im not very social, im not even that confortable with my own family, so Im not sure how to act when both familys get together. I want to focus on my kids, but I want to make sure I dont leave anyone out. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should be at the barbeque? Even though family members have met briefly before Im not sure if I should re-introduce everyone to each other and how can I keep the mood from going dull? Im just afraid a lot of people might be quiet or uncomfortable including myself. What did you ladies do at a baptism or how was it when you went to one? How did you act? was everyone mingling, or quiet? what can I do to make it fun?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• you've already asked this question.
    Let everyone act naturally, you can't force fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I'm sorry, but what to the families being Mexican and Black have to do with it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Because shes concerned that it might make everyone uncomfortable. As much as we don't want to believe it, some people still have issues with different races and also they have very different cultures and beliefs. Shes just wanting everyone to get along and be comfortable around one another. I can definately understand your concern but I agree with the first post. Let everyone be themselves and get to know one another. When it starts, just introduce everyone and then leave them to mingle themselves. If they are adults, then they should know how to act. It might be strained at first, but if everyone keeps an open mind and really works on getting to know each other, it will be just fine. They will warm up fast. If there are going to be lots of kids, then get some games and activities together for them and maybe some goodie bags. Encourge the kids to make teams for games and make a new friend. Its going to be just fine!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i think i would act as if it was nothing and business as usual.you wouldnt go up to a sil (lets say)and say this is so and so and she is black...well thats obvious.i just wouldnt make a big deal out of it and i think everyone will be fine.i find that the 2 families will sepaprate in to two groups so dont be offended.just make sure you talk to every one.offer food to everyone and maybe find a common denomonator....it will be fine..my daughters boy friend is hispanic and my other daughters mil is gay..and my so family is very italian and usually it works out good.just act like its nothing cause i think if you get nervous they will sence it and they will get nervous...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2009