her breathe smells like acidy throw up

i think my daughter may have acid reflux... anyones baby been diagnosed with this? is it bad?? she has a drs appt coming up but i want input from people who have experienced it

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not a serious thing, a little bit of medication and they're good as new. Unfortunately for us, my daughter wasn't diagnosed until she was 2.5 she had a rough go of it beforehand. She threw up a lot. Sounds like reflux to me though.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:44 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My daughter was treated for GERD with Xantac. or Zantac. Whatever. Hers wasn't too bad. What I found helps is to keep her elevated or reclined for about 20 minutes after feeding. In infants, the pyloric sphincter that is intended to keep food and acid down isn't fully developed. If you lay her down right away, that food and the acid will just back flow essentially. Good luck!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son was diagnosed with severe acid reflux. Acid Reflux can be a serious thing for LO's. With sever acid reflux they can aspirate(get into lungs). That can cause the child to work hard to breathe and cause retractions under the ribs. Medicine does help alot but it does not stop all reflux. It is a good idea to mention this to your doctor. Although it can be serious can can also be pretty mild too, and my advice is not to worry too much unless your daughter is vomiting a lot along with:continuous crying/inconsolable even when you hold her, her cry sounds wet, she is struggling to breathe. If you notice your daughter doing any of those i would take her in to doc right away. Good luck and I hope your daughter feels better
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 2:18 AM on Apr. 1, 2009