my baby is 6 months old and won't go to daddy she screams.

We don't know what to do. she has done this for at least 5 of her 6 months. I am a stay at home mom and i do breast feed her. My husband works the graveyard shift so he see's her a few hours in the morning and a few before he goes to sleep. on his days off we try to get out and do things but it's difficult to even go to the store because if my husband is pushing the cart she will scream. She will play with him while she is in my arms but the minute he goes to hold her she screams
I need to know if anyone else has ever experienced something like this. it is putting a huge strain on my marriage because she consantly requires my attention. If i try to put her on the floor to play with toys so i can just sit next to my husband and spend a little time she crys. HELP I dont know what to do

allyelizabeth

Asked by allyelizabeth at 2:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normal normal normal!

Daddy is not only unfamiliar, he's a big hairy scary creature with a booming voice who is definitely Not The Momma.

Baby would be doing this in any event. And she will outgrow it. Tell dad to be patient. He's a big strong guy who can handle giving up a little bit of your attention to his child. This phase doesn't last long.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My baby is four months old and she started doing this. My son never did this. My DD only wants mommy to hold her. I have tried getting her in a good giggling mood and then passing her to anyone and then she flips a switch and starts crying. She won't even stop after she is put down. she will cry for hours at times.
    So I tell people that they can't hold the baby and they can just look at her in her carseat or where ever she is and she is content with that. (she hates toys like jumpers where she is sittling up too... she loves her crib. What a weird baby.)
    Try different things when you have the time and the energy to see what works for you. If you get stressed out then just let the baby cry and go into the other room. Sometimes you just need to let the baby cry.
    Good Luck
    JenFunSniffer

Answer by JenFunSniffer at 6:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• First off does Daddy act unaware of what he should be doing with baby? Is he timid around her?Babies can sense when someone is uncomfy and feels like there not incontrol. (I read it in parents.com , Check it out!) He needs to act in control and sure of himself... Let him know that he's doing a great job, even when he's holding this screaming child. Let you baby know that she's fine and Daddy7 has her. Give her kisses when she's with him and it wouldnt hurt to let her cry while Daddy cuddles with her. My Son is almost 9 weeks old and hated to be held by my SO, I didnt jump everytime he cried and he got used to him, and can just hang out with Daddy on the sofa while I get stuff done (like a shower!!) She will never get used to being with Daddy of she isnt given the chance. When she starts to cry, mommy leave the room... Let Daddy (no matter how hard it may be for you and him) deal with her... A little crying never hurt anyone:)
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 8:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my little sister was like that when she was born give it time your baby will grow out of it my little sister didnt start liking my dad until she was 2 so take it slow and help her understand that she has a daddy that loves her and what to have fun with her it takes time
    calebkevin2009

Answer by calebkevin2009 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2009