Easter Eggs, Christmas Trees, and Rainbows

If Christians "stole" Easter eggs and Christmas Trees, can one use that same reasoning to state that homosexuals "stole" the rainbow?

If that logic is being used for other symbols, then it seems to me that the same logic applies to the rainbow. The rainbow is a Covenant sign from God that He will never flood the earth again. Did the homosexual community steal it from the Christian/Judeo God?

Isn't the whole argument over "symbol stealing" absolutely ludicrous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• April fools....?

Seriously, it doesn't compare, because Christians adopted eggs and trees as religious symbols. Last I checked being gay wasn't a religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Symbols get borrowed and the meaning changed all the time. Didn't any of you watch The Davinci Code? It was all about symbols.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I have yet to see someone ranting about Christians stealing their eggs and trees. If anything, it's people who are in denial and refuse to admit eggs and trees (or Easter and Christmas) are not Christian in origin. Or those who refuse to have anything to do with them because they consider them tainted. Unlike you, who seems upset that "the gays stole my rainbow!!"

Not only is the comparison faulty, it's remarkably bigoted. If you really felt that way, you should be screaming about that cross the Christians "stole."
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• ?....
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Isn't the whole argument over "symbol stealing" absolutely ludicrous?

I get your point, but I'm not sure this question is going to be well recieved - sounds very homophobic and biased.

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Symbols are just that, symbols. We're not worshipping them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• There is really no comparison here... Gay is not a religion and they didn't addapt the rainbow from Christians... Christians however DID adapt their religous symbols from the Pagans of the day. They were doing everything in their power to create a pagan environment within the Christian church... At the same time there were burning witches... It's not a matter of who had them first, it's a matter of where did they really come from and how can a religion that hates pagans so much justify addapting pagan traditions???

It would be like a Christian woman wearing a pentagram. (Which was used until the 1400s by the Christians) There is no denying it's a pagan symbol, but what if she claimed it was a represnetation of the 5 wounds of Christ? Does that make it Christian? IMO, No! It's still a pagan symbol. And IMO, that's exactly what the use of easter eggs and Christmas Tree is, you can call it what you want. It's pagan!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• how are eggs & trees pagan? i'm just curious. i can see why the christians use eggs as an easter symbol because to me, it's kinda like the rebirth of Jesus...... the egg came out of the chicken, but then the baby chicken has to come out of the egg....like a 2nd birth... idk jmo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Christianity adopted most of their symbols from the Pagans...
    To convert the Pagans into following Christianity...
    The Gay community did not STEAL the rainbow... it is a symbol of the diversity of people who are gay ( I was told this once don't know if it's true...)
     Here is some interesting reading on symbols ... HERE

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Anon 1012... I hope you are not a Christian...
    That IS NOT a very good Christian attitude ....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2009