Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Police report on a childs biking accident?

My 9 year old was riding her bike yesterday and accidentally hit the neighbors parked car. She was honest about it and told the neighbor what happened. We were told not to worry about it and that the other kids in the neighborhood had also damaged her vehicle (but took off instead of telling the truth) so she would have the scratch fixed when she had the rest done. A few minutes ago she came over to tell me she is filing a police report. Now I'm worried. What could they do?

Answer Question

Asked by southenrmunchkn at 5:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (21)
  • Make you pay for it. Did she say why she changed her mind??

    Answer by sarapurser at 6:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

  • Sounds like she is up to something. Make sure she only blames your kid for the damage your child done and not any more then the child done

    Answer by ronjwake at 6:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

  • she said she told her husband and he told her she had to file a report. I'm not upset with her, I understand she'll need that if she files with her insurance, I'm just worried I guess about what will happen. I have no problem paying for damages caused by my daughter.

    Answer by southenrmunchkn at 6:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

  • Was your 9 year old out by herself with no supervision? Was she wearing a helmet (it's the law here)?

    She may be getting a police report so she can turn it into her insurance company. If there is a deductible, she may want you to pay that....or not.

    She was probably just letting you know she was doing it so you weren't shocked when the police showed up.

    Didn't you ask her why she was filing a report? That pretty much would have answered your question, I think. She would have told you either it was just for the insurance company or that she felt something else needed to be done.........

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

  • thanks ronjwake. I plan on making sure the police know that we were told there was previous damage. As I said I have no problem paying for damages made by my daughter, but not damages that were made by someone else. I don't believe she's up to something (she's my 6 year olds teacher so we know her a little better than the other neighbors) but I want to make sure that the mp's know there was previous damage.

    Answer by southenrmunchkn at 6:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

  • My kids are not allowed to play outside alone. So yes, she was supervised. I was not more than 15 feet away from her. And yes, she was wearing a helmet. And yes, there are several people who saw us who could back that up as well. There are several kids who are allowed to play outside without parental supervision, but everyone around here knows my kids are not in that group of children.

    Answer by southenrmunchkn at 6:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

  • How bad was the damage to the car? I can't imagine a bike really doing alot of damage to a car, I am sure the child wasn't going 30mph on a bike. A neighbor child done the same to my fathers car, it was only a scratch on it, so we went to walmart and found the touch up paint for it. I really can't imagine filing a report for a simple scratch. Just glad your lil girl didn't get hurt.

    Answer by ronjwake at 6:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

  • My DS hit a car on his bike when he was younger. The driver needed a police report so that his insurance would cover it.

    Answer by Dewdlemom at 7:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

  • You'd be surprised at what damage a bike can do. Anyway, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just tell the cops what she told you and maybe you should take pictures of the car as well. I would only pay for the damage done by her as well. Never know how this could turn out so just take the pictures and make sure you get a copy of the police report as well.


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

  • Oh and FYI, just because they have insurance doesn't mean they have to claim it. A lot of time for silly stuff making a claim will make your rates go up.


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.