am i doing something wrong?

my son is 14 months old today. he was a big baby at 8 lbs 9 oz. he has no real want to walk. some times he will walk holding my hands but most of the time he will just sit or pull up his feet. is my son just lazy or have i been doing something wrong? i have to admit i am jealous of other moms when their kids have been walking since before the were one. any suggestions or comfort is welcome and appreciated.

Brians_Mommy08

Asked by Brians_Mommy08 at 6:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All babies are different and do things at a different time. My son was a late walker, but a very early talker. (He was talking complete sentences, like an adult,at a year and a half). But don't worry your son will do things on his own time
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 6:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I agree w/ the PP. My twins were both walking/running at 10 months, but I think a lot of it was b/c of competition. Boys tend to walk a little later as far as I know, but it it goes much longer you might want to talk to your ped. about it. He could just be more comfortable crawling around. At 14 months, they're starting to be more like "little people" than babies and he could just be choosing to do what's more comfortable for him. BTW, for us, exersaucers and push toys were great when our boys were learning to stand and walk. This is going to sound terrible, but when you need a break, throw on a Baby Einstein video, put your little guy in a walker or exersaucer and let him move to it. It's great to strengthen their legs- my guys love the music in those videos. Don't stress about it too much- unless he's showing other signs of delayed learning, he's probably just going to stand up and start running soon.

dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 6:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I don't buy the "boys tend to ....(enter thing here)...later than girls". But that's based on my experience with my nieces and my own boys.

You're not doing anything wrong. You know he CAN walk while holding hands...force the issue a LITTLE bit every so often. Not enough to upset him or anything...but while playing and joking tell him "no silly! You can walk! I'll help you...let's walk to the kitchen and get a drink" kind of things.

His size doesn't have much to do with it, I don't think. My oldest was 8lbs 9oz and walked at 10 months. My second son was 9lbs 5oz at birth and walked at 9 months. My third was 7lbs at birth (36 weeker) and walked at 11 months. Different kids, different timings, different ideas of what they want to do. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:47 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son started to walk at 16 months, so I know what you are going through and the questions that race through your mind. My son was the same way. He would stand alone or walk holding our hands. The doctor said he was just being careful and would walk on his own time. Then he said if he isn't walking at 18 months, that is when they would start to worry and consider therapy. He is ok! I promise!!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son started walking at 16 months. He was a chunk at 1 year (35 lbs). I believe that he weighed too much. He is 6 now and skinny as a rail.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My little girl will be a yr old on April 17th, and she isnt walking yet either. I have been wondering the same thing as to if I was doing something wrong also. She gets around just fine though on her knees! I call her my little knee walker! LOL! Hopefully she will just take off soon
    cheybugs08

Answer by cheybugs08 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2009