• In the Spotlight:

I just found out my 13 y/o daughter turned down pot.

Yesterday I found out that my daughter refused to smoke pot with her friend. They got into an argument about it and my daughter called us to come to take her home. I'm so proud I could positively burst, and I told her so. Do you think I should do anything else other than just saying "I'm proud of you."? I really want to reinforce that she did an awesome job, but I don't want to embarrass her. What do you think?

mamapotter

Asked by mamapotter at 7:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• take her out a day for her, shopping dinner the works its so worth it! congrats on havin a good girl
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• that's an awesome idea bugsmommy, thanks!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Congrats! Who needs to get into Harvard, it's the stuff like this that counts! I would do shopping or spa or her favorite meal out.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Congratulations on teaching her to be confident enough to do such a thing. AND, congrats for making sure she knew she could come and tell you about it. Mom, Dad, and daughter deserve a night on the town!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I am proud of your daughter and I don't know her. She did a great thing. Way to go!!!! I would take her out for dinner or shopping. She did something that is hard for a lot of kids to do. She should be very proud of herself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• she did the right thing, and sometimes the hard thing. i would be happy for her too, and proud of her. i don't agree with everyone else thought that it needs to be a huge celebration. Not that I dont think it is great but over celebrating her not taking drugs is too much if you ask me. I would be happy and proud and support her whole heartedly but act like that is expected at least a bit. Her reward for such an act should be and could be her very own personal pride in herself. Making it a shopping spree event i think takes a little away from her self satisfaction if the act itself is not enough and requires a present to feel really good about herself. That is just my approach.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, dinner she might not care too much about lol You might want to take her out to dinner, but personally, when I was thirteen, I wanted a pager. Now a days would be a cell phone. Maybe if she doesnt already have one, get her one, if she does have one, then maybe allow her to buy some ringtones or extra texts a month. Maybe get her those pair of jeans from the EXPENSIVE store that all the cool girls go to. Something SHE wants. Good luck. and congrats on a good girl!!!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Oh yeah... I'd suggest either surprising her with something she really wants, or maybe a little piece of jewelry to remind her of her good decision!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 3:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I just wanted to say congratulations for raising such an intelligent young woman! My son is 18 months old, but I hope he stays smart and becomes friends with people like your daughter when he grows up! Good job, mom!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i would suprise her with something. Maybe a cute purse, or new pair of shoes she wants. But I also agree to not make a huge deal out of it, trust me she feels pride in herself and nothing get beat that. I was at a party in high school and people starting drinking, I called my daddy and asked him to get me. On the way home he took me out for ice cream and told me he was really proud of me. Thats really all I needed.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 5:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009