how can i help my daughter in which has biploar and is on abilify calm down from her fits....

my daughter is 9 almost 10 and is on 2 mg abilify 3 times a day. she has been having fits the past 2 mornings and she is blaming everyone in th house mainly my youngest son for her current mood. I am at wits end with her i cant do this anymore i am sick of this and want to know why her??? how did she get this insanely bad condition... Sorry all currently my daughter is having a real bad fir and its numbing and making me real mad!!! HELP PLEASE

1girl2boys1976

Asked by 1girl2boys1976 at 7:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I understand, maybe you might first want to talk to her DR. about the meds she's on. It may be that they need a change. I know I have had to change a lot of my families routines. When my son would start fits, I had to try and remain as calm as possible, because as you know the more upset you or anyone else gets it makes the fits worse. Also if there are visitors in the home I have found that makes things worse too. I usually can calmly talk to him and then go and hold him, rock him (for some reason the rocking movement calms him) If this doesn't work then I know we are in for a looooooooong night.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 7:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son is 16 and bipolar and we have gone through much of the same over the years with him. I would talk to the doctor about the dose shes on and possibly other meds. My son sees a psychiatrist because I have found pediatricians dont know the latest on med combinations that can help. Second she needs therapy and possibly behavior therapy. I would ask for a referral to one of the other. My son actually had a one on one worker for 3 yrs who helped him with his behavior when he was arond 10 too. It helped alot they work at school, home or wherever on how to control themselves and take responsibility.

Answer by gemgem at 8:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Take her back to the doctor, better yet a Psychiatrist, she needs more help than meds. I watch a 14 yr old with Bipolar and she is on Lithium 3 times a day and Clonipin (for anxiety). She throws violent fits where she breaks things, throws things, swears, threatens suicide. She lies all the time, she has inappropriate sexual thoughts and actions. DO NOT let her get away with the behaviors because she is Bipolar, she needs to learn how to control the feelings and urges she has. When she throws a fit, she needs to be held responsible for whatever mess she makes or things she breaks. Let her have her fits and then when she is done, talk to her. The girl I watch has NO priveleges because she hasn't earned them, she has no money left in her account because her mother Get her school and teachers involved. Find a good counselor and get her into therapy. Therapy for the rest of the family wouldn't hurt either. It will help .....

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• ....you all to understand why she is like she is. As for how she bacame Bipolar, there are many reasons. It does tend to run in famillies, it could be something that happened in her life to trigger the disorder. It could have just happened. Get info from the doctor, go to the bookstore and get books about Bipolar. Make sure the diagnosis is correct. Get the best treatment possible, have lots of patience. Have an outlete for you. You need time away from her to unwind and recharge. So does the rest of the family. I wish you all the best in this.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I would be trying to determine why she is so very angry. Does she feel like she is being ignored and that she has to have a fit just to get some attention? Children are very sharp when it comes to knowing how their parents feel about them. Just the words you have written here are enough to make me know that she probably knows how you feel about her, and that's enough to make any child angry. I think it might help if you find some time to spend with her alone, doing something that she enjoys doing. You might find her other problems diminishing as well. Bi-polar pretty much means that she is being torn in two directions. It's like a tug-of-war going on in her little mind. It is very frustrating. What she needs from you more than anything is love and understanding and evidence that you care about her predicament. The drugs really don't help that much!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• A wonderful book to read is the true story of Danielle Steele's son who suffered from Bipolar Disorder. It lays out all the treatments they tried, all the therapies, all the extreme bilpolar behaviors. She said that he was only suicidal when he was in the manic stage. Not when he was in the deep depression part of it. It's a beautiful, touching, and wonderfully told story. Check out Amazon or a book store for the book. It's called "His Bright Light: The story of Nick Traina." I can't recommend it enough for someone going through with what you are. God Bless and my prayers are with you.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My 12 yr old son is bipolar taking strattera, trileptal and recently went off of abilify because of the weight gain. Since then he has only gotten more violent, frustrated, having fits of extreme anger, and yelling at neighbors which he has never done before. Usually his anger was only at me and his younger brother. He takes no responsibility for his outbursts. According to him it is everyone else's fault. I feel for you, but with him, when he is throwing a fit, I have to just let him calm himself down. Nothing I say or do to hime will help him. I get hit almost every morning trying to get him up from school. I do find that giving him Melatonin (you can get at walmart) does tend to help him sleep better and sometimes wake up easier. Ask the doctor. He will have an overnight sleep test to check for sleep apnea. I don't think he is getting good sleep. Hope this helps.
    drowsywaterbug

Answer by drowsywaterbug at 11:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2009