Alimentum formula...

My son just recently was switched to alimentum formula. I was just wondering how common it is for a baby to be switched to this. It cost $30.00 for 16 ounces!!! Is it common to have a milk protien allergie and lactose allergie??

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 7:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is on Alimentum due to having gastroschisis when he was born, it is expensive ($25) per can..luckily a program called WIC (women,infant,children) gives me coupons to get this free. It has income guidelines like 35,000 /yr for like 2 people i think. i dont know where you live but its def worth checking out, they helped me so much!
    Lovingmykids3

Answer by Lovingmykids3 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son had to use this (well nuetramigen) just the other brand. Its expensive I know.. my son out grew this and went to soy around 3-4 months though.. I had it as a baby as well.. He is now one and drinking whole milk :) Just be patient and make the sacrifices needed and hopefully it wont last long!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 8:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I suggest checking with the insurance company about covering part of it. Since the doctor is recommending he be on it for medical reasons, he should be willing to write a prescription and you MIGHT be able to get the insurance company to help.

I have a friend who was able to get a little help that way...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:38 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Go on ebay and check out the baby formula. I just bought 6 cans of prosobe for 30 bucks! (+S&H) They had a ton of Alimentum. Some were even still in the cases!
    sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My daughter would have had to use it, but I was able to continue nursing.

Talk to your doctor, they should be able to give you some free samples at every appointment and that will help with the cost.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My daughter who is 8 mths old now has a Cow Milk Protein Allergy. She has been on a formula called Elecare. Its a prescription formula. It is $55 a can! It's only a 3 day supply. No I am not kidding at that either! She has been on it since she was 9 wks old. She wasn't able to even take Nutramigen. We tried and she started haveing internal bleeding. she was that allergic. She will be on Elecare till she is at least a year old. So stay on it. I kwo it's a lot of money but its worth it!
    LovingMyGirl84

Answer by LovingMyGirl84 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009