How can I get my son to swallow table food?

My son is 11 1/2 months and still eating a lot of baby food. I am trying to feed him more and more table food, but he just chews it and then hides it in his cheeks instead of swallowing it. Any ideas on how I can get him to actually eat it instead of just storing it in his mouth?

quirkymama

Asked by quirkymama at 8:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG that is so cute! The little hamster :). Maybe try experimenting with different foods? See if he does it with all foods. Give him some scrambled eggs or some chopped up cooked potatoes. Try different foods. Did you give him any of those Gerber graduates snacks? They have a whole variety that he may be able to learn with?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• He eats the Gerber graduates puffs and yogurt melts...but any most "real" food I give him he just hamsters up in his mouth :) But I haven't tried eggs yet, so that's a great idea I'll try. Seems like they would go down easy.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 9:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My second son did that. I know some babies/toddlers just do it, but my son has low oral motor tone and SPD. He had to learn when his mouth was full...it had to be CRAMMED before he realized he had food in there to swallow!

What I did (right or wrong) was when I knew he had food in there but he wasn't doing anything with it, was gently squeeze his cheeks to kind of push the food back onto his tongue and told him to chew it up.

Oh, and make sure the cheeks are empty before he gets down from the table to go play! I had to make him open his mouth to show me because he always had these "hang dog" cheeks that ALWAYS looked like they had food in them! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:11 AM on Apr. 1, 2009