How do you stop smoking when you drink?

i'm trying to quit smoking and its not so bad, until i have an alcoholic drink. then i CRAVE them, but i dont want to smoke anymore. my grandmother died of lung cancer at 56 years old. i want to be around way longer than that. what are some suggestions? (besides dont drink, hahaha)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Health

• Don't drink, haha :)
    I'm in the same situation. What works for me is avoiding stimulants such as coffee and alcohol. Also, drink lots of water and go to bed early. 3-4 days without cigarettes will kick the nicotine out.
    Anonymous

• Never start in the first place....nasty habit...quit cold turkey..save yourself some wrinkles!!!
    Anonymous

• You really can't drink. Not until you've got the smoking habit far behind you. It's a trigger, and it will get you everytime.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 2:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I disagree with the PPs. In order to disassociate drinking with smoking you have to be able to drink and not smoke.

I am a former smoker (smoke free since September 1, 2005). I still drink occasionally. The urge to smoke while drinking is one that will take some time to get over. But you CAN do it!

Try going to bars that don't allow smoking inside. And if you have friends with you that still smoke, ask them to NOT give you smokes even if you beg them for one. You might hate it at the time, but you'll be thankful in the end!

PM me if you'd like to chat. After nearly 3 years smoke free, I still have days when I want to smoke. But, I don't... and haven't... not ONCE in all that time!

GREAT JOB on quitting! You CAN do this!!!
    kaseysmommy1003

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I used to smoke about a pack a day & then quit. Now I do smoke when I have a few drinks but that's the only time. I never smoke other then that. Guess I'm lucky in that respect. Not that I should be smoking at all.lol
    megs1228

Answer by megs1228 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• good for you! you quit!!!! you can do it, just keep reminding your self of all the money that you are saving. i quit last year and i always have money for coffee or gas...and i smell great and i absolutley feel great! i used that "chantix" medication for just 2 weeks and i never had another butt. booze does make you want one, but just drink with non smokers for now...i smoked a pack a day and i will NEVER do that again. GOOD LUCK!
    seanesc5

Answer by seanesc5 at 6:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2008