5 1/2 month old constipated?

We started rice cereal when she turned 5 months after the ok to start solids from the doctor. The second week we started oatmeal cereal. Since we introduced solids I have noticed a decrease in bowel movements down to once a day. She is exclusively breastfed so its quite a difference. But now its wednesday and she hasnt pooped since monday...
We plan to introduce peas this thursday. I am hoping that will help because I have heard the baby cereals are constipating. What do you think?

BunintheOven1

Asked by BunintheOven1 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK. First...not pooping is not constipation. That's normal for a breastfed baby. Constipation is passing hard dry pellets.

Are you nursing before solids, every single time? That's the way you do it because the breast milk is the important food, not the solids.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my dr told me to give them about 1 ounce of apple juice with 2 ounces of water everyday until the problem stops.. you should try it , it def works !!!
    Lovingmykids3

Answer by Lovingmykids3 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Try Gerber Prune Juice
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• When my little one seems constipated feeding him veggies does help. If he hasn't gone in a while or has the hard pellets, like someone else mentioned a serving of vegetables seems to fix the problem pretty quick! He doesn't like juice much, so the veggies work for us!
    cbx3mom

Answer by cbx3mom at 10:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• yeah you're good...my daughter went through a stage like that.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 10:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2009