BF, whats so bad about cereal b4 1 year,

I've heard that its not so necessary. I have fed baby oatmeal and rice since 4mo mostly since 6mo. Is there really a negative to this. Do I stop when she is eating pureed foods? Do I HAVE to feed her 3 meals a day?

babygirl821

Asked by babygirl821 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All great questions for your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with it...the doctors "might" tell you otherwise.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 9:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My kids had cereal in their bottles for refulx from birth to 3 months. At 3 months they ate cereal for a couple of days, then decided they didnt like it anymore. At 3 1/2 months my boys were eating pureed peaches and carrots, and they loved it, with a bottle in the morning and afternoon. They started pureed meats at 5 months. My MIL gave the boys a fresh cooked smooshed up green bean at 7 months, after that they didnt like baby food anymore. So my kids were eating whole foods at 7 months and slivers of chicken and meats at 9 months. They quit drinking their formula around 9 months, so they also started drinking whole milk from a sippy cup at 10 months.

It all depends on your child, but you know your child better than anyone. I never listened to anyone but my mother and grandma when it came to advice and feeding. Knock on wood, never had to do the heimlich.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Agree wtih first poster. In general, breastmilk or formula provides all the nutrients a gorwing baby needs. The main reason to feed is to teach your child to eat and have fun playing with 'em. Plus, the kids tend to enjoy it, too. There are new textures to feel with fingers and tongue and flavors. It's a great way to expose them to new tastes. There typically is not a need to feed, but I did and dd was sooo excited b/c she saw the kids at day care eating and wanted to eat too.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son is eleven weeks and has been on rice ceral since he was four weeks. We talked to his doctor who said to give it a try and that our son would let us know if he was ready. I would go with your gut, you know your baby better than anyone. If you are still concerned talk to his ped. But he'll let you know.
    AMmarie20

Answer by AMmarie20 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My thoughts were that when we started giving solids, that the end goal was three meals (and snacks) of table foods each day. That was the goal for which we worked.

By 6 months I was offering three meals and that's when we switched to a sippy cup and started offering table foods. By 9 months we were done with baby food completely.

But that's what worked for OUR boys.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:53 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Rice cereal is not even necessary for a baby at all. We forgo all cereals and introduce solids when our child seems ready, 6 months or beyond. If you are already feeding it, there is nothing wrong with it.

3 meals a day is a lot for a child under 1. For the first year breast milk/formula should be the main source of nutrition and solids are for fun, and experimenting.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:53 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Cereal is great to start out, but I was also told not necessary, just a stepping stone. When my kids got old enough for the 1st foods they didnt like the bland cereal anymore. I never have heard of it being introduced after a year though, it was always the first thing recomended for us to start on solids. GL, sound slikeyou are doing a good job, try not to worry about what to many people tell you to do. I agree with AMmarie, your baby will tell you in some way if they are not ready for it, untill you get that cue just keep doing what you are doing.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i gave mine before 4 mo. nothing bad, i dont think. i gave it to her until she didnt like it anymore (moved on to solids). my daughter started off with three meals a day when she was on baby food, but now that she's on solids, she eats 4 times (1 snack).
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 10:30 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Cereal is fine!! My daughter loves her's mixed with fruit. You do not have to give 3 meals a day. Go by your instincts and how much your baby needs. If your baby is a little hungry more so then the day before feed them a little more. You don't want the solids to replace the breast milk though. I always do solids between breastfeeding/bottles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2009