Jews for Jesus . . . ?

Is there a bigger difference between Jews for Jesus and orthodox Jews besides their belief in Jesus? I'm very curious about this group. I've done some research on them, but there's really not much about their belief system on the internet. Does anyone know anything about them?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's a link to their website. I do know they believe in Jesus. I have gone to a Messianic Synagogue and they still hold to all of the Jewish teachings, holidays, etc, but they also teach from the New Testament and that Jesus was the Messiah, died on the cross for our sins etc.

http://www.jews-for-jesus.org/
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I was never Jewish, but we are 7th Day Christians (not in the Adventist church) and keep the Holy Days that many would consider "Jewish" Holy Days. I haven't heard of "Jews for Jesus", but some Messianic Jews will meet with our church on occasion.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:55 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• bonn777:

Thanks for the link - the site doesn't explain everything, but it does give some insight!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• you can also google "Messianic Jews or Messianic Synagogue" - here's a link to a Messianic Synagogue I know of and they do have their beliefs posted. www.bethdavidfresno.org.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Jews for Jesus are a Christian organization and have NOTHING in common with Orthodox Jews, Conservative Jews or Reform Jews, other than a belief in a single G-d.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:27 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Jews For Jesus are the ones that believe the Messiah had already come like Christians believe. They know the NT and Grace and believe it
    Orthodox Jews still do not believe the Messiah has come and still practice OT Law , they do not understand Grace.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Wow how presumptuous to say Jewish do not understand Grace.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• im assuming here, but by "grace" i think shaneagle might have meant as in the grace that christ offered on the cross. if that is indeed what she meant, then traditional jews do not adopt that theory of grace. but again, im just assuming...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• The word Jew is the name for both an ethnic orientation and a religious belief system. Jews for Jesus are still Jewish--but they are religiously speaking also christian. Jews who practice their native religion of Judaism are Jews by birth and by belief--unless, of course, they are Sammy Davis, Jr. who was Jewish by faith but Afro-American by race. I'm STILL trying to figure that one out!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Jews for Jesus are not Jewish. Shaneagle, just because I don't adopt your beliefs doesn't mean I don't "understand" things. That kind of statement is incredibly insulting.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009