What Can A Senior Citizen Do at Their Age - Occupations

I will be 62 this year and am contemplating learning a new trade but don't feel it is feasible to pay a lot of money or get in debt to do it. Do you have any suggestions? One of mine is being a nail technician. Thanks

Enolihi

Asked by Enolihi at 9:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• My grandma retired and went to work at walmart as a greeter. It isnt anything fancy but she makes enough to suppliment her retirement plan. You can also write books, worj with other more elderly people by helping them to and from their appts etc (Like a CNA which is a 6 mth course), you can try a job at a hospital doing patient registration, records etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I wonder if there is training or licensing required to be a companion. Often people are looking for someone to stay with an older relative during the day, no nursing care, but fixing light meals, maybe some light housework, but mainly just to have somebody in the house so the relative isn't on her own.

Answer by Bmat at 9:53 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I don't know what kind of work you may want to do. But some of our top sellers are in their 60's.
    I am 47 and completely changing my career.
    I started selling Scentsy, the wickless candle last year and just have Fun. Seriously. I didn't think it was something I would ever do but I started making around a couple hundrend a month to about a thousand right now. It is just fun and I work when I want to and I sell in every way besides parties.
    But one of our top sales people is a retired gentleman in his 60's.
    I have some things on my cafemom page here, or my website : www.scentsy.com/6401
    GOOD LUCK and in anything you do ~ do something that will make you happy above all!
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Ever think of working from home? We are holding a LIVE online presentation tonight at 8pm EST. Checkout my website! www.MomsGoneGreen.biz
    :) Lisa
    MomsGoneGreen

Answer by MomsGoneGreen at 11:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i work for a company that a large number of distributors  are in their 60's and 70's making good money. The products are  anti- aging health products. You are in the perfect age group because everyone wants to look younger and feel younger. You have a tremendous opportunity to share with your peers.  the company is debt free and profitable.   See www.tgw247.com  I woiuld love to have you join me and grow a business together.  Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 11:55 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Bakery, food stores, retail stores. Just a few to start ...
    Joyo4

Answer by Joyo4 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I would consider being a distributer, but I won't sell anything that the average person could not afford. I am also weary of products that may contain harmful ingredients. So I will do my homework before applying. If anyone has a good suggestion, I am open to that.

Thank you for your replies. Very good suggestions.

Enolihi

Answer by Enolihi at 12:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I agree with some of the other posters. The Network Marketing Industry is non-age discrimanate. Even though you are a nail technician, will you want to be using your hands for the next few years, what happens if you get sick and can't use your hands like my mother-in-law when her arthritis kicked in after doing Hair for 50 yrs. My husband and I started a home business 6 years ago and are very successful. My mother is 65 and has her own business and so does my mother-in-law who is 78. She makes about $600 a month part time. We also have 80+ yr. olds and 90+ year olds who I have met that starting business from home and just blow my mind. Look at Col. Sanders(Kentucky Fried Chicken) he started after 60 yrs. old. There are soooo many who are your age and much older who do not desire to be an employee at their age. They wished along with us we would have learned this years ago.
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 12:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If you want classes in a particular field, check and see if there are any state or local programs for ladies training to return to the workplace. A friend entered a program for women over 50 years old. If she maintained a certain average she was reimbursed for her tuition. She was already a CNA and was studying phlebotomy. // What do you want to do, that's another question. Do you want to be a nail technician? Did you like anything about your former job? Is there any way of piggy backing some of your current skills with a new direction?// If you don't need a formal degree you could try Open Courseware. These classes are offered through large universities on line without credit, but also whithout cost. // Hope these ideas help.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If interested in caring for others try
    sittercity.com
    care.com

its more than child care, Its senior companins, and pet care and house cleaning.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009