• In the Spotlight:

Are they going to be constantly sick forever?

3 kids under 3. Started going to church lately. Every Sunday we pick up a new bug & are sick by midweek. I'm not exaggerating, it is EVERY time we go!

I was hoping there would be a point at which they start building up their immune systems. Is there? Or am I just dreaming?

SVmagz

Asked by SVmagz at 9:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My 3 are 33 months apart oldest to youngest. The oldest is now 5. This past winter was the healthiest we've had.

I thought my kids were "sick all the time" too. We'd get over a cold and be healthy for a week...then sick again. The pediatrician said it was going to happen as they were out in public more (playgroups, preschool, etc) but that by the time they were 5 they'd not be as sick as often.

The past two colds we've had, my oldest just had sniffles and the younger two were stuffy as all get out but with their asthma medications didn't seem as bad. Last year...every single cold was accompanied by CROUP. This past winter, we had ONE case with ONE kid! yahoo!!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I had 3 under 3 at one time, lol. It's tough! They share germs like crazy! I'm sure once the weather warms up a little more the cold and flu bugs won't be as prominent and they'll stop being sick.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Mine have all been sick with the weather change. I would just carry purell with you and make sure they learn to wash their hands alot and pump them up with vitamins.

Answer by gemgem at 9:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Kids are going to get sick but if they are getting sick every week then I wouldn't take them anymore, all because parents don't keep their children home when their sick. I would just make sure they are getting enough vitamins.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Aww hon, it's hard. I know when my son started pre-school it seemed he caught every cold around, then kindergarden, then jr. high lol. It's hard, but maybe skip a sunday or two to let their little bodies catch up. As hard as it is for us parents when our babies are sick, virus are good for children. The immune system can only work properly when used. So just maybe take a couple of weeks off and let them get fully over what ever they have. A typical virus has a 10-14 day run. Good luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• The older ones do take vitamins & the baby is still breastfed & is never as sick as the older two.

If they are still sick by the next Sunday service we stay home so as not to spread the disease around more...trying to be socially responsible!

But, I just want to know if it ever lets up? Are they really going to get sick every time they are exposed to other kids for the rest of their lives?

My hubby says yes. I say no (b/c wouldn't we as adults still be constantly sick too?). Now I'm starting to wonder if he's right!!!! Just wondering if any moms would know if he is?
    SVmagz

Answer by SVmagz at 10:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• No your hubby is not right. Unless your children have an immune system problem you should be ok. Some kids it takes longer than others. My kids are 15 and 9 and I can honestly say that they haven't been to the doc once this year for being sick, they've had little colds, but that's it. This time of year is killer on anybody, even with a rock solid immune system. Hot one day, cold and snowy the next, then allergens floating around. Trust me, I"m feeling it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:37 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Maybe you could get with some of the other parents and see if they're having the same problems and all of you get together with some lysol wipes and wipe that place down once or twice a week so that the germs will have to die out (not sure how often or who cleans the churches but doubt the pews, and sunday school classes get disinfected very often).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i use supplements for our family. It sure has made a difference. Message me and I will share what i use. Mary
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 12:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009