At what age can the kids start using their own cellphone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son will get one, when he is at the age to go to his friends house down the street alone. Probably about eight. But it will be one of those kid cell phones that only have my cell, his dads cell, maybe my mom, and 911. That's it. No texting or anything fancy. Just something for emergencies and letting me know he is alright. When he is about twelve and can go to the mall or movies with friends, getting picked up and dropped off by me, then he can have one with texting and other things.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think it depends on the child and schedule. I got my 9 yr old a cell phone for his bday. My other kids were 12.

Answer by gemgem at 9:55 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• gemgem I think 9 years old it is too early but you are right it depends on the child OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think that when they are playing sports in high school/jr high is okay and they need to call to be picked up or something (although there are always pay phones) otherwise when they start driving.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• For us...when they have a job and can pay for it themselves.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I survivied without a cell phone through school, and so will my kids! I might consider it when they are driving...but we're a long ways from that right now :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son was 13 when he got his cell phone, we will probably wait till daughter is 12 befor she can have one
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my daughter is 10 and she has a iphone
    mom2b23869

Answer by mom2b23869 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• As soon as he hits junior high...he will get a cell phone. 12 years old.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I have seen kids a young as 8 to 10 yo with cell phones.

Me personally..I do not believe kids (18 and under)should have cell phones..Unless they can pay for the phone and service themselves..It is not a necessary item for them to have.

Answer by louise2 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2009