Just Curious

Lately I have been feeling like i'm in a rut. I love being a mom and being able to stay home with my daughter but sometimes it is sooo routine. Does anyone else ever feel this way or is it just me?? What do you do to switch things up????

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I definitely feel that way. I started a playgroup through my church so the myself and the other Moms in my community have an excuse to get out of the house and socialize. On the days that we are definitely stuck at home, sometimes I just turn up the music real loud and dance around the room with the baby. She loves it and it usually improves my mood enough to appreciate my time at home even on the extra boring days.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yes, I definitely feel that way, too. I have a playgroup on cafemom and we get together once per week. I also joined a group at church that also meets once per week. Go and walk around the mall, or take the baby to a kid-friendly restaurant and have lunch together. Make it a point to get a nice shower in each day - that's my saving grace- even if all the dishes don't get done. Set a goal for yourself- learn to play the piano, get healthy, start exercising, whatever, just to get some of your focus back on yourself. I'm not saying that there is much room for selfishness as a mother, but when you completely lose yourself in being a mother and wife, sometimes you lose touch with yourself as a person and that is frustrating. Also, I make a list each morning of things I want to get done, and then the day doesn't seem quite as long and monotonous. Good luck!
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 10:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Find stuff to do outside the house that aren't part of the routine. Maybe walking the mall or finding a mom's group in your area. My mil swears by her mom's group. She has been part of it for almost 5 years and some of the mom's are her best friends. My son is 3 and we go to the Vet clinic and look at the strays. If there is a small dog sometimes he walks/plays with it. We go to the library. There have been times we spend 2 hours reading books. Or we check out movies and have a movie marathon. We go on "finding walks" where there is a handful of things that he finds, and i take pictures whenever it gets found, even if its 20 times. When we go home we'll spend an hour looking at the pictures and talking. We take our dogs for walks. We ride bikes. Nickjr.com has lots of craft ideas. Chalk is always fun. Its cheap can be fun for everyone. Try to find free/inexpensive activites in your community.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Baskin Robbins offers $1 scoops of ice cream once a week, its Tuesdays here, but might be different where you live. Is there a campground or hiking trial somewhere close? We've gone to hiking trails and my son picks up acorns or stones on the ground and we wash and sort them when we get home.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• That would be exactly the way that i feel!!! And if your anything like me your not a church goer.. nothing wrong with it but not for me so thats outta the question.. Doing things on your own doesnt help much with the going crazy part... trust me i have tried many times just going to target or anything to get out of the house- doesnt make those feelings go aways, well maybe for a min but their right back again. I would try going out with friends to lunch or something- thats what I do. But again prob. with that is none of my friends have babies so hanging out with me and my 5 mo. old daughter isnt much fun for them- If you can find a mom's group. I am about to move and I know there is a moms group where I am moving to so thats what I will be trying next- Just gotta hold on for two more months lol!
    torimommy21

Answer by torimommy21 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2009