How late did your OB let you go before inducing you?

without real risks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A week late.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Our doctor said that going beyond 40 weeks is dangerous. The body isn't made to go any longer and it starts breaking down the nutritional support for the baby. So he induces at 40 weeks.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:15 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i was induced a few days before my due date... I was already 4-5 cm and fully effaced so i was ready!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• DDry, your doctor is wrong. Normal human gestation is 37-42 weeks. There are no increased risks until after 42 weeks...

Anyway, there are ALWAYS real risks with induction. My OB (base hospital) tries to induce at 41 weeks. I will tell him to eff off. They also routinely strip membranes at 38 weeks. I am glad I am having a home birth and wont be at this hospital : /
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I know someone induced at 41 weeks and a few days. Ended up w/ a cesarean. Why? Because her body and baby weren't ready and her baby was in NICU for 5 days. Go figure.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Mine didn't tell me I had to be induced, she asked if I wanted to be. I met with her on my due date, after she had stripped my membranes the previous week. She asked me if I wanted her to strip them again, which I didn't, so I scheduled to be induced later in the week. I ended up going into labor the night before I was supposed to go in, so I was induced a day earlier. My son was born 4 days after my due date.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think now they will only let you go a week or maybe it's 10 days over. My DD was born in 1976 and the stupid doctor let me go 4 weeks over, causing some problems, but thankfully she was fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Mine just started the stress tests after I went past my due date. There was not a certain point past my due date that she wasn't willing to let it go past, just monitored how the baby was doing. I went into labor at 41 wks 3 days.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:48 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Mine wouldn't induce until 42 weeks (almost 9 years ago). My water broke (well leaked) on its own at 41 weeks, 6 days, but my labor was just light ctxns and nothing was happening. I was induced 12 hours into it. It was super painful, but I never got past 1/2 cm.

I found out later (while pregnant with my next child) that I have cervical scarring, which was from my first pregnancy that ended in a missed miscarriage, from which I got a uterine infection. I can't dilate b/c of the scarring. I ended up having an emergency c-section with my oldest and scheduled c-sections with the next two. My OB at the time did not do routine 20 week ultrasounds so it was not caught.

I have learned that induction is not always the cause of c-section... sometimes there is an underlying INITIAL problem that is going to lead to a c-section regardless of induction/non induction.

SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:48 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i was induced at 42 wks and 1 one i was miserable! lol
    girlie2

Answer by girlie2 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2009