Head Banging ???

Ok - my son is almost 17 months old and has started hitting himself in the head/face when he gets frustrated or mad ?? why?? and then he's also banging his head on the floor or the wall - at first I thought it was cause he thought it made a cool sound but now he's doing it more and more! he's never watched TV and me and his father are extremely happy so its not a learned behavior.. PLEASE tell me this is a stage or something???

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 6 year old does it at his mom mom and pop pops house when he dont get his way from me becasue as soon as he does it the rush to him and give him what he wants so i think it is just a attention thing. so if you dont pay him nomind he most likely will stop.
    Anonymous

• My son used to do it. it was a phase I would tell him not to do it. He stopped. no reason to be alarm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• it's normall mine do it all the time i just yell at them to stop! i think he either does it 1) because his head hurts 2) wants attention...
    don't worry most cases he'll stop before he hurts himself but also ask your doc about it
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• When I do tell him, Honey, Don't hit - he hits himself more - so then I tried to ignore it and he still does it -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son does the same thing and if I tell him to stop, he laughs and does it again. It is a phase. It will pass....I hope!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 12:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i think mine does it because he get's so frustrated when he's pissed he has to let out that burst of negative energy. I just don't pay attention or walk around him and he's stop or I'll throw him in his room until he finishes
    dawninmanch

Answer by dawninmanch at 12:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2009