Beef Stew

I never made this before but i wanted to try. Anyone have some good recipes?

Thank you

greeneyemommy

Asked by greeneyemommy at 10:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• www.crockpot.com has some wonderful beef stew recipes.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:33 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, for frying, plus more to drizzle
    3 tablespoons butter
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 to 3 pounds beef chuck shoulder roast, cut into 2-inch pieces (this cut is also called chuck shoulder pot roast and chuck roast boneless)
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 bottle good quality dry red wine (recommended: Burgundy)
    8 fresh thyme sprigs
    6 garlic cloves, smashed
    1 orange, zest removed in 3 (1-inch) strips
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 bay leaves
    2 1/2 cups beef stock
    9 small new potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut in 1/2
    1/2 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
    2 cups frozen pearl onions, a large handful
    1 pound white mushrooms, cut in 1/2
    1/2 pound garden peas frozen or fresh
    Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
    Horseradish Sour Cream, recipe follows, for garnish
    Toasted Peasant Bread, recipe follows, for serving
    D
    JEDDHAZEN

Answer by JEDDHAZEN at 11:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Last time I made it, I put my stew meat in the crockpot all day. I covered it 2in above the meat with water added 2 beef bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Then when I got home, I transferred the meat and broth to a pot for stovetop cooking and added my carrots (I prefer cutting them in medallions) and cooked it until they were almost done. Then I added my potatoes cut into a little larger than bitesized pieces and cooked until the carrots and potatoes were done. When they were done, I mixed 1 Tbsp of corn starch with about a cup of water and added it to make the gravy... I had to do that a couple of times to get to my preferred consistency. Good luck... it sounds like alot, but it really is super easy and how I grew up eating it!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My recipe is really really simple. In the crockpot: beef cut into chunks, cubed potatoes, baby carrots, onion wedges, sliced celery chunks. Sometimes I'll also use a packet of onion soup mix. I put in enough water to not quite cover all the ingredients and stir, then put the crock pot on low.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I add beer or red wine.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Cubed beef roast into a crock pot with onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, 1/2 c red wine, beef broth to cover, rosemary, 2 cloves garlic (smashed and peeled), salt and pepper, maybe some thyme . . . on low for 6 hours or high for 3 - but the longer the better, IMHO. If you want the thick stew consistancy, add about 2 T cornstarch disolved in 1/4 c room temp or cold broth or water about 15 minutes before serving.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2009