Good Glycerin-Free Lotion

Can anyone recommend a good glycerin-free lotion? Long story short, my 15-month old was having bad outbreaks of eczema and the Dr. stressed how important it was to keep his skin moisturized with lotion (she gave us suggestions). It just seemed to get worse. When we stopped using the lotions, his skin improved dramatically, along with a trip to the Derm. We think he might be sensitive to glycerin but his skin is getting dry so I'd like to try a new lotion w/o the glycerin to see what happens. Any suggestions?

have2travel

Asked by have2travel at 10:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am no dermatologist, but it would be odd for him to be allergic to glycerin. Glycerin is actually vital for good soap. Most store bought soap has the glycerin processed OUT of it and is more detergent than SOAP. I would suggest a handmade castile soap. Those are very gentle for kids. Most handmade soap makers also make lotion. Try handmade venues like www.etsy.com www.artfire.com and www.shophandmade.com, etc and search "gentle handmade soap" or "castile Lotion" etc. I can recommend quite a few shops if you want! :) Try a lotion with as few ingredients as possibel! :)
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 10:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have had a Glycerin allergy for many years now, it has been really hard for me. I found out through trial and error with soap, as well as allergic testing. I have found that Walmart sells Olay equivalent moisturizing soap without Glycerin, for those of you who can't pay $10 dollars for expensive stuff. As for lotions I haven't been able to find one, even organic ones still contain some form of Glycerin. Which makes it extremely challenging. Glycerin also has another name, it is Propylene Glycol. The best thing to do might be try oils and such for your baby's skin until you can find a lotion. Oils might be a bit messy, but that would help a bit with the dryness until you can find a good alternative. I wish I could be more help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• There is a woman who makes lotions by me, their website is creeksidecreations.com I suggest their lotions, they go on a bit slick at first but absorb fairly quickly. Also as a chemist I can tell you that glycerin is NOT the same as propylene glycol. But they both shgould probably be avoided. Hope that helps!
    o0obers

Answer by o0obers at 9:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2011