Non-vaccinting moms

What lead you to your choice to do this? What kind of hassles have you gotten from the medical community? For example, can you take your child to a regular pediatrician, or do you have alternate medical care?

I am thinking about stopping my children's vaccinations because of issues I've read in regards to ADD and autism diagnosis linked with vaccines. My current pediatrician will not see children that are un-vaccinated because she believes it infringes on the health and safety of her other patients.

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I will not vaccinate my children and although our doctor wishes I would and tries to push me to it, he still sees my children. I will not vaccinate for several reasons : my younger brother was perfectly normal until he got certain vaccinations and I watched him go from a completely normal toddler to an autistic child, SIDS, poisons and heavy metals in vaccinations, the fact that children are OVER vaccinated (too many, too young) in U.S., the list goes on and on.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 11:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• There are pediatricians who will work with you. There are even pediatricians who oppose routine vaccination. My advice would be to look for a new ped who is more on the same page with you. I do selectively vax my kids, and did a lot of interviewing to find a doc who was supportive of natural meds, selective vax, selective use of antibiotics, etc.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I take my son to a well informed doctor that uses common sense. Not all peds are like this and are ignorant enough to deny care to unvaccinated children. We had to interview 9 peds in California before we found an intelligent one. She was great and recognized each child is an individual and had different needs. It has been nice. I would find another ped sounds like the one you have is a drug company sell out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I haven't had to deal with it yet, because my old Pedi was awesome. But we've only been in this area for around 7 months and I haven't found a pediatrician yet. It's hard. You just need to interview and *shop* around :)

I don't vaccinate at all, it wasn't an easy decision but it was one I feel confident with. Autism isn't even on my list of concerns though.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I don't take my kids to a pediatrician. I take them to a general practice family doctor. But that is one of the issues you need to be prepared for. I stopped vaccinating due to reactions from my son. I have never had anything more than a "comment" from a doctor. I have heard of people actually ejected from a doctors office for not vaccinating. You need to call the office ahead of time and ask what the policy is.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• did not vaccinate my daughter for many of the same reasons listed above until she was 5. Now she is up to date. In Japan, the made it illegal for babies to be vaccinated until the age of at least 2. Most parents over there wait longer. SIDS rates dropped dramatically......funny how the FDA REFUSE to admit that vaccinations have anything to do with SIDS. There are many comlications that are linked to vaccinations. Many other countries, are learning this except for America. There are some important ones like the TB vaccine, there have been a few cases here in GA of un vaccinated people getting TB.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I understand that there are serious problems related with vaccines, but then again you have to look at all of the diseases out there in this world that kill children everyday like polio,rubella,mumps,etc...i would be irate if my child went to school with a child who hasnt been vaccinated and ended up catching something from that child. It should be a law that parents vaccinate there children to keep them from getting sick and dying. I mean thats almost like murder if you ask me .
    Lovingmykids3

Answer by Lovingmykids3 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• .i would be irate if my child went to school with a child who hasnt been vaccinated and ended up catching something from that child

So, your child's vaccination won't protect them from those unvaxed kids?  Then why did you do it?

callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 2:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009