Can you get dental help?

My husband has been laid off for about 5months now. We have both applied to tons of places and have not heard anything yet. Well his teeth started hurting him so today he went to the dentist to see if he could get everything fixed. The estimate cost for what he needs is $4600. We are only getting about $200 a week for unemployment and obviously can not afford that. I know there is medicaid and stuff like that for medical insurance, but are there any government programs that help with dental problems? I just don't know what we are supossed to do. We couldn't even afford to make payments on that, but if he doesn't get the work done he is just going to continue to be in lots of pain. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Health

• In my state you can see a dentist with the medicaid card. Call your office and ask about applying....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It depends on your state. Most states do not cover dental but some do. Call your health department and ask them.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You might also have a clinic for low-income families nearby that also does dental...I know we've got one. They have you pay based on your income.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Some times you could go to the detistry schools and they will do the same procedure cheap, if you qualifiy, but you have to not mind that its students doing the work
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Call you local high school and ask them if the technical school offers free dental care. Most do.
    Yebbers

Answer by Yebbers at 12:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• The first thing I would say is contact your state welfare system. Here if you are getting adult coverage dental is included. Also sit down and figure how much you CAN afford if you HAVE to pay it out of pocket.

If all else fails PM me. I work from home doing low cost dental plans. My husbands dental bill was $600 - With our plan we only paid $243... And we were able to make payments on that... The plan is only $19.95 but you may have to switch dentists... Although you might have to do that anyways!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Like I told someone else
    I have had asp dental and optical savings plan and I only pay 12.95 a month for the entire family. I was able to get a crown for $300 and I get my kids teeth cleaned for $20. And you may think this is neat but they gave me a free phone too. I got the plan from www.aspcoverage.com

I lost my job too but we have to have hope. Thinks will work out they just may take time so keep your head up.
    LatoyaMoms

Answer by LatoyaMoms at 1:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2009