Holocaust survivors

Is there anyone else here, on Cafe Mom who has a survivor of Holocaust, Jewish and non-Jewish, in their family or among friends?
I am putting it in the Political Events section, since we dont have a History section on here.
Bea

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 10:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My grandmother was. She watched her whole family be slaughtered. She was pregnant when they came for her. When her baby was born they took him and experimented on him until they killed him. Her little sisters were gang raped and beaten to death they were very young only 7 and 8 years old. My great grandfather and great grandmother were told they were going to have a shower but were gassed. My grandmother got married to a German man who helped her after Auschwitz was finally liberated. They married and had 4 kids they moved to America when my dad was only a few months old. They all became citizens and tried to put the past behind them.

My grandmother was a strong woman and lived a long and happy life. She missed her family and supported charities her whole life that helped holocaust survivers and their families. Her family was wealthy and she worked to find their treasures. She found some.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I don't but I recently read the book "Night". What a story that man told...I can't imagine going through the things these people endured.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I was watching Unsolved Mysteries and there was a holocaust survivor looking for a soldier who gave him and his brothers food after being released from the concentration camps.. it was definitely a bittersweet story.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Wow. I hope we keep the history alive. People sometimes interpret things differently, and some deny that Holocaust even happened. I am happy your Grandma survived these horrors. But what happened to her family and millions of other people needs to be remembered and taught to the next generations.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 11:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I have encountered many who think what my grandmother survived was a lie. When the world forgets it will happen again. The hatred for Jews worldwide is insane right now so I see this happening sooner than later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• "I have encountered many who think what my grandmother survived was a lie."

That is terribly sad to even begin to think someone would make up such horrific stories about their own family. People are just way too insensitive now a days.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• The holocost was a sad and terrible episode in human history. It has to be remembered, because if we don't remember where the human race has been, it will go there again. No one in my family was a survivor in the context you mean, but my grandfather fought in WWII against the Nazis. He SAW the death camps after they were liberated, and I remember that 50 years later he would still get tears in his eyes at the memory of the things he saw there. A lot of it he would never talk about.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• No holocost survivors in my family either and my grandfather was in WW II as well.

A very terrible thing and I agree we cannot forget our children and their children need to know this history.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:52 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I don't understand the whole idea that the Holocaust was a lie or did not happen. Where does this way of thinking come from. It is no different than any other terrible thing in history. We have historical and photological documentation of the event. Slavery, the great depression, all these things we have documentation for and no one questions them...why the Holocaust. How hurtful and disrespectful. In D.C. we have the Viet Nam memorial as well as the Holocaust mesuem. Why is one real and the other a fantasy? When I was in 7th grade we read A Day In The Life Of Ivan Dinisvovitch and The Diary of Anne Frank. We also watched a PBS special on the Holocaust. This has stuck with me my whole life. I don't understand how people can think this attrocity never happened. It is this way of thinking that makes me fear it could happen again!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Im sure if i look into mine or my hubbys family we have one or more
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2009