Bedtime question..see below

My twin boys are 17 months old and are weaned off the bottle except for the bedtime bottle which we hold them and they drink it. After they finish the bottle, we hold them til they go to sleep then we put them down. Next month I want to start weaning them off that bottle and try and get them to go to bed on their own. Any suggestions? Any help? I WILL NOT use CIO. I am wanting to get them going to sleep on their own before I start putting their baby brother in his crib.

palexander

Asked by palexander at 11:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know I use the CIO method so sorry:( Hope someone else has some answers though.
    ladyraven16

Answer by ladyraven16 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I also use the CIO method, however, I didn't have to for more than 1 night so you could probably do what I did - Its been 2 weeks since my son's nightime bottle and I would rock him while he fell asleep also - well, instead of the baba- i went in with nothing and rocked with him and he cried for the bottle but I just sat and rocked with him til he calmed down and I laid him down when he was relaxed enough and like I said, the first night he cried for his baba for 25 minutes but slowly lessened from there - but I also make sure not to say baba or bottle since he still asks for it now and again.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well, at their age, any changes to what they are used to, what they want and expect may very well cause tantrums. So, if you don't want to let them throw a fit at bedtime, you need to decide ahead of time what you will do when they do. Will you give in and give them back the bottle? WIll you only put water in the bottle and accept their screaming? Will you put water in the bottle and try to hold their thrashing, tantrum filled bodies until they go to sleep?

You may get lucky. They may be easy-going and accept the change. The older they are, the less likely that is since toddlers and change mix as well as gasoline and a lit match. I don't have any advice for you other than treat bedtime tantrums the same as any other tantrum - which for me means letting your child pitch the fit and work out the anger. Sorry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• unfortunately, I think they will be upset by the routine change and will be fussy. Of course, that doesn't meant let them scream bloody murder for hours! Let me fuss for 5 minutes, then pick them up and rock until they are sleepy, but not asleep then lay down again. Let cry for a few minutes and repeat. Ideally, over time you can cut out the rocking and just lay them down when sleepy.

I also recommend getting a blanket or toy they can hold while drinking. Get them used to having both then take the bottle away say when they are half way done. wean them off too. Anyway, just ideas.
    Anonymous

• You can also try to put them in their bed drousy, but not all the way asleep. This will be the only way they learn to soothe themselves when waking at night. Good luck. I also did CIO one night at 6 months old. Ever since that one night, he has slept through with no problems out of the ordinary. There are some books called the No Cry Sleep Solution. I have never read it but many mommies have. You could try that book.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I won't take the bottle away cold turkey. I figure one night give a cup of milk after bedtime and put them to sleep. Then the next give a bottle and slowly increase the days between bottles and when we put the bottle away for good, start working on the putting themselves to sleep.

As for the CIO method, I will never use it. I think it is mean and causes more problems down the road. Both of my boys have, for lack of a better word, attachment issues. My son, Tristen (the oldest twin) was not allowed to be held for almost a week when he was born so he didn't get to bond with us right after birth. Thomas has surgery at 5 months and didn't get to be held for a few days and do this day, I have to hold him down when he goes to the doctor. He hates doctors or anyone messing with his head. So I don't want to use CIO and risk further problems.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 6:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If you keep the bottles, they will cry for it. If you insist that you switch between the cup and the bottle, just know it will take longer. If you and your little ones are happy with it, then no harm done! As long as they are happy toddlers, that is all that matters.

Same for the bedtime routine, just expect it to take longer for them to learn to soothe themselves to sleep without crying. It may take more time, but they will get it eventually.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2009