What is the definition of sleeping through the night?

Mia1983

Asked by Mia1983 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Um... not waking up...

dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• 5 straight hrs
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think people have different opinions on this. My baby has been sleeping 4/5hours, then eating, then sleeping another 4/5 since she was born. I considered that sleeping through the night, because she would only get up once, and it was only to eat then she would be right back asleep.
    Now she's skipping that night feeding and getting a good 8/9 hours at night.
    So I think if your baby doesn't wakeup crying at night, they're sleeping through the night.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Why are people hateful?? If you can't be nice and actually answer the question respectfully then keep your mouth shut.

From what I understand it is six consecutive hours of sleep.... but that doesn't feel "normal" to me when I am used to sleeping a lot more than that. Haha.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 11:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Unfortunately, the first poster seems to have a little too much time on her hands.

For others who actually have some sense but just need a little clarification, the question is about a) whether you consider waking up just for feedings still qualifies as sleeping through the night and b) how many hours of sleep you would call sleeping through the night.
    Mia1983

Answer by Mia1983 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It is 6 hours but i would prefer it to be 8, 10 if I want to get something done or some me time!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Officially, 5 hours or more in a row. Most babies do that by 6 months. (Most, not all)

Then there is the longed for 8 hours while you yourself are sleeping. Most babies do that by 9 months.

Last is bedtime to morning. Most babies don't do that until after 12 months - some far later.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Five hours straight is the technical definition. I haven't met the child who does eight hours straight in year one. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I've heard 6 hours striaght.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009