If you have a close friend who

makes bad parental descisions...(i.e. leaving it up to the school to teach their kids about sex, never eating together) would you say anything or just leave it at that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• My parents didn't teach me about sex and we didn't eat together except when we were very little. I don't consider my parents bad. They are awsome and my family is very, very close. I tell my mom EVERYTHING.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 11:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• leave it at that. At least she is not beating them, or leaving them home alone for hours. All you can do is be a good example to her, show her how your family works. She may just start following in your footsteps if you set a good example for her.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Unless it rose to the level of abuse or neglect, and what you mentioned does not...I would not say anything. I have found that it is best to focus my attentions and efforts on what I can be doing as a mom and not what others are doing. Every family makes different choices and in large part, most of our kids will grow up to be normal functioning adults, as a result of or contrary to how we raise them. I know a family that ate meals together and when a child would drop food they were punished severely and then made to eat from the floor like a dog. That is abuse. So, while this family may do things differently than you, there may be things they are getting right. Focus on that. Focus on what you can improve. We can all improve ourselves as individuals, as mothers, friends, daughters and partners.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 11:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Just because another parent isn't doing things the way you feel is necessary, doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. As long as she isn't doing something to hurt the child like physical abuse or leaving the child alone when he/she is too young, it is best to stay out of it.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Leave her be unless a) she asks for my opinion or b) there is borderline neglect or abuse going on. Other than that, I don't think I have all the Right answers on parenting, just what works best for me and my family, and I try not to be judgemental about parents who do things differently than I do.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2009